Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had the Sonic .90 springs along with 20W fork oil and a ZX14 rear shock waiting to be installed for weeks now. I used the stock Kawi lower bolt, and nut with 2 washers.

Rear took 30 min, front took slightly over 2 hours...

All I can saw is WOW, I have 14,500 miles on the SVS now and I weigh 215lbs without gear, I didnt realize just how $hitty the stock setup was for my weight until the first ride out with the "new" stuff. Half the bumps in the road seem to be missing, it doesnt take me a few cycles of the suspension wallowing to settle back to normal after hitting a bump.

The turn in is amazing, much crisper you think about it and you're leaning. I find myself not having to "hustle" the bike through corners as much it steers easier, almost makes the bike feel lighter. I have to get used to NOT being thrown off my line when hitting a bump mid corner and having to compensate for being thrown off my line some. The rear shock is almost identical in length to stock, and requires no cutting of the battery tray, although 3 screws do need to be removed along with an extra cover for the battery compartment. The rear actually sits higher with me on it due to the bike not sagging as much when I sit on it, this helps with the turn in as well.

Overall I spent $108 shipped on springs and 2 bottles of 20W fork oil, and $70 shipped on a rear ashock off of Ebay...BY FAR the best money Ive ever spent. If you've been thinking about doing this, dont wait!! This made me fall in love with my SV all over again....

·
Registered
580 Posts
You now have to think so much less about controlling the pitch of the bike and can think about line.

You just got $0.56 of Keith Code's $100 back in change.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it feels great. I really used to not mind the stock under dampened set-up as much until now where I feel like an idiot for putting up with it so long (almost 8000 miles so far in 10 months)

For fun, here are some pics I took with my GoPro on the rear seat cowl...

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I'm right behind you on this subject. (See picture above^^^ ;D )

I've got the fork springs and oil ready to go and I've got my eye on a few shocks on eBay to complete the suspension mods.

I haven't been entirely comfortable with the stock suspension. Handling, while good, isn't as solid as I know it can be. I weigh 230 without gear, so the front (even with max preload) is still way under sprung and lacks proper damping. The rear (max preload too) is too vague for proper canyon carving.

I live in an area that has hundreds of miles of canyons and mountain roads. They are very challenging for any rider, regardless of experience. I know the SV can be made much better in the handling department. And I've got just the roads to prove it on!!

I can't wait to get my suspension mods done!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts