Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered Sonic Springs for my '05 SVS about a month ago, and the order/shipping process was simple, smooth and all together well done.

I took my bike to the shop this weekend to have the springs put in along with heavier fork oil. After putting some miles on them now, I have to say these things made a HUGE difference!!!!! They are absolutely awesome! :) The bike is a whole new machine now, the front doesn't DIVE when I use the brakes and it holds onto corners with a death grip now! Absolutely the best thing I could have done for the bike :)

Thanks Sonic!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why start another thread when I can revive this one?

I installed Sonic .90 springs and 20W fork oil in my '01 this weekend (they have been sitting on my floor unpackaged since July). I give them two thumbs way up!

I had already pre-loaded my forks 13mm each using washers, along with 15W fork oil, and it did help over stock. But, when you preload a spring it makes the intial travel pretty harsh. The sonics sure smoothed out the ride AND gave a better feel leaned over. The whole job took about an hour and 15 minutes, but I am no novice when it comes to forks and I have a triple clamp (tree) stand for the front.

If you are even considering giving it a try I say do it! For ~$90 shipped to my door, it is probably the best mod I have done to my SV since the front braided brake lines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+ 1,000 on the above. Just did .80 and 15wt on the front this weekend and boy oh boy what a difference!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
How much do you guys weigh? I weigh 130-135 without gear on so I am curious if I need to change the springs out also?

1) Do not know what the stock spring rates are...guess I could check racetech's website

2) Are the stock springs a straight or variable rate spring?

3) Do I have to change anything else other than the springs and oil and is it pretty straight forward or is there some other crap that has to come out off the forks once the cover is off? I have helped a buddy (who was a suspension gurru) change my dirtbike fork springs and they were a little complicated because of the new style fork for the 05 models on the Kayaba forks. Who makes our forks anyways?

4) Is the emulator or valve mods needed or will changing the springs alone be a huge improvement in itself? Usually changing to a heavier weight oil should not need to be done with the right spring rate unless you are trying to change how quickly the oil is pushed through the valves and pistons...correct?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Their website allows you to enter in your riding weight and style and it'll suggest which springs and oil weight to use. Their springs are linear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
bbmxta said:
How much do you guys weigh?  I weigh 130-135 without gear on so I am curious if I need to change the springs out also? 

1) Do not know what the stock spring rates are...guess I could check racetech's website

2) Are the stock springs a straight or variable rate spring?

3)  Do I have to change anything else other than the springs and oil and is it pretty straight forward or is there some other crap that has to come out off the forks once the cover is off?  I have helped a buddy (who was a suspension gurru) change my dirtbike fork springs and they were a little complicated because of the new style fork for the 05 models on the Kayaba forks.  Who makes our forks anyways?

4)  Is the emulator or valve mods needed or will changing the springs alone be a huge improvement in itself?  Usually changing to a heavier weight oil should not need to be done with the right spring rate unless you are trying to change how quickly the oil is pushed through the valves and pistons...correct?

I weigh 160 but the bike was set up for my wife who weighs 100. I must say that the front does feel compatible for me.

The stock springs appear to be variable, like progressive type springs

Nothing else needs changing, pretty straight forward. You do need to cut spacers as the stock springs are longer. The PVC piping and washers comes with the sonic set up.

IMO nothing more needs to be done as far as emulators or valving, at least for street use. I really need to get more miles on the set up and get the pre-load dialed in a bit more to make a final say but overall I thinks it very doable with just springs and oil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Strick said:
Why start another thread when I can revive this one?

I installed Sonic .90 springs and 20W fork oil in my '01 this weekend (they have been sitting on my floor unpackaged since July).  I give them two thumbs way up!

I had already pre-loaded my forks 13mm each using washers, along with 15W fork oil, and it did help over stock.  But, when you preload a spring it makes the intial travel pretty harsh.  The sonics sure smoothed out the ride AND gave a better feel leaned over.  The whole job took about an hour and 15 minutes, but I am no novice when it comes to forks and I have a triple clamp (tree) stand for the front.

If you are even considering giving it a try I say do it!  For ~$90 shipped to my door, it is probably the best mod I have done to my SV since the front braided brake lines.
+1!

Yeah, what he said! I got the .95 springs and 20w. The bike was transformed from a wobbly grocery-getter, into a bike capable of passing "better" sportbikes on the brakes. Sonic springs are the best bargain there is! You MUST do this mod, even if you plan on doing emulators or a front end swap later.

·
Registered
629 Posts
sounds like this will be my next mod.

Why doesn't Sonic make rear springs? Should you be changing the front along with the rear to match your weight?? My experience with suspension on the dirtbikes is just because you change the front the bike may still handle like crap until the rear is matched to your weight also. Just curious.

·
Registered
505 Posts
bbmxta said:
sounds like this will be my next mod. 

Why doesn't Sonic make rear springs?  Should you be changing the front along with the rear to match your weight??  My experience with suspension on the dirtbikes is just because you change the front the bike may still handle like crap until the rear is matched to your weight also.  Just curious.
You're correct that both ends need to be set up properly for the bike to work well, both in terms of springs and damping.

·
Registered
229 Posts
jarelj said:
You're correct that both ends need to be set up properly for the bike to work well, both in terms of springs and damping.
Jarelj is correct (he IS a suspension shop owner) I also have swapped out the stock rear shock for a ZX10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts