Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this subject has been beat to death but I just HAD to mention that upgrading the fork springs on my 2000 sv650s with Sonic Springs has to be one of the BEST mods I have made to the bike by far! Simple to replace. Little bit stiffer ride but none of the dipping and diving when I hit the front brakes! For the money, I wish I had done this sooner! I know you're saying "Can it really be that much better?". YES, it is that much better! DO IT!

Let's not forget the mechanical advantage I get from the 'SONIC SPRINGS' stickers they sent with them!

MrNimbles
2000 SV650S
super-high-speed-red

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try some cartridge emulators and a new rear spring and you will think you are on a brand new bike. I got my springs, emulators, and rear shock/spring all done and once and I swear I couldnt believe the results. Makes you love the SV all the more when you toss out its "standard" suspension

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 x SV650 0.85kg/mm Sonic Springs (25S-085) = $79.95
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $79.95
Zone Rates (Shipping to US : 3 lb(s)): $12.00
Total: $91.95

Here is the order and the price I paid for the springs. I weight about 180(ish). I'm about 6' 1". I did put 15wt fork oil in it. I had tried 15wt oil with the old springs with almost no noticable change. I set the oil level and spacer length according to the instructions that came with the springs. I would have to dig up the box to give these specs to you.

MrNimbles

·
Registered
801 Posts
My front end sinks in so much it's unnerving. I am 5'11" about 200 lbs. Would you guys recommend new sonic springs or just playing around with new fork oil?

Noob question. How do you calculate which springs and oil to use? 0.85- 0.90kg,
15-30 wt fork oil?

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
No idea.. i'm not very mechanically inclined and just poured some fork oil down there.. it's pretty full though i put like a little less than a pint in each until it looked pretty full.. lol.
Fork oil level is pretty important parameter, if it's overfull it will make the forks too stiff.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
My front end sinks in so much it's unnerving. I am 5'11" about 200 lbs. Would you guys recommend new sonic springs or just playing around with new fork oil?

Noob question. How do you calculate which springs and oil to use? 0.85- 0.90kg,
15-30 wt fork oil?
0.90 springs and 20w should do it for you.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
so im looking at around 120 plus shipping for .90 spring and 2 L of 20w..

sounds like thats what im doing next...

Or should i do the rear shock first?
$107.85 shipped, if you're in the US. You only need 2 pints of oil, not 2 liters.

Do the forks first, they're worse than the shock.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Arg, that's what I did. Funny the front suspension felt good. Good thing I did not take it for a spin. I'll fix the oil lever in the morning. Thanks Marc.

5-24-09

Thanks again Marc. The suspension stiffened up a bit more with the right oil level and I took it for a ride. It's very good, feels like a new bike.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Thanks Mr Desmond. I just installed my new sonic springs :p Feels pretty good, big improvement. One question. 110ml recommended for my set up seemed like very little fork oil. It feels good, just seems strange.
If you measured 110ml of oil in a measuring cup and poured it into each fork tube, that's not right at all. Way too little. I think that 110 number you're using is 110mm. With the spring out of the fork and the fork all the away compressed, the oil level should be filled up to 110mm from the top of the fork tube, measured with a ruler stuck down into the tube.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Go with the springs and the 20 wt oil. I am 250 with gear and I had the 20 wt only, but the springs make a world of difference!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:
I just wanted to share my latest mod with y'all. Just when I thought the new front springs were the best... I found a 2003-2004 Kawasaki ZX636 shock on ebay for $8.99! Yup $8.99! plus $8.00 to ship. so $16.99 for a sweet looking shock. It was listed as "ZX636 shock linkage". In fact, I didn't even notice the 'linkage' bit until after I hit the Buy it Now button. Needless to say I was shocked (pun intended) to receive the entire shock attached to the linkage!

So I followed the same proceedure you read about all over this site (BIG thank you to you all). Install went pretty easy, had to trim the mud flap and lift the battery box. Sure enough the lower bolt and nut from the ZX would not fit between the dogbones. I did use the SV shock bolt. I just tapped and heli-coiled one side of the ZX shock. Some ThreadLoc and it bolted right on.

What a SWEET mod for just $16.99 (+ $5.00 for the helicoil) and about 2-3 hours. The geometry felt a bit different, wanted to turn into the corners a bit quicker. Maybe the shock is a little shorter or longer, I forgot to measure before hand. But the rear end (and my rearend) feels so much more planted on the road! Big difference with 2up riding.

Anyway, now that the back end is SOOO much nicer, the front forks with the sonic springs feel a bit stiff in comparison. I think I'm just gonna go and get the Traxxion emulator kit and use my Sonic Springs. I've read all over this site about the Traxxion emulator kit with damper rods and I'm left a bit confused about what fork oil I should use. Any suggestions or comments?

Unfortunately I'm a newbie to shock setup (preload, dampening, rebound????) so it looks like I'm gonna have to search for a few more hours to learn about that.

Again, thanks to all that post their knowledge and experience here!

MrNimbles 2000 SV(S)

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
UPDATE:Sure enough the lower bolt and nut from the ZX would not fit between the dogbones.
Anyway, now that the back end is SOOO much nicer, the front forks with the sonic springs feel a bit stiff in comparison. I think I'm just gonna go and get the Traxxion emulator kit and use my Sonic Springs. I've read all over this site about the Traxxion emulator kit with damper rods and I'm left a bit confused about what fork oil I should use. Any suggestions or comments?
I used the ZX bolt and nut just fine when I swapped mine, I just had to reverse the direction of the bolt. IIRC nut on the left side, bolt head on the right side. But my shock is an '05 or '06 so could be different for all I know. I had to up my compression setting a bit to get the rear balanced w/ the front.
As far as getting emulators, check out this thread before you order the Traxxion kit if you're on a budget. If you're not worried about saving the extra $$$ or you don't wanna mess w/ modifying your stock damper rods, then by all means go w/ the Traxxion kit though. The damper rods are supposed to be a noticeable improvement over modified stockers. I think I read that Rich uses 15 wt on his race bike w/ the Traxxion rods. If you modify your stock rods most of us use 20 wt.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts