Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
site supporter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a cell phone. I've got an iThing (the music thingy - I tried riding with it once -- years ago.) I currently have a Shoei RF-SR. Someone suggested I get a device that would allow me to use the phone or iThing while riding. (I generally ride with cheap but effective earplugs because I also still have hearing.) :ears:

Any suggestions on which/what electronthing I should buy and install in/on my RF-SR to let me hear/talk/phone while riding?

I thank you for your helpful responses. (I'll let you feel ignored and ashamed for any unhelpful responses.
[<--She's probably dead by now, dontcha think?])

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sena has various models that work well. I actually use the intercom function to talk to a riding buddy more than the phone. I have a 10R in two helmets and I have a 20S EVO in my latest. Telephone and intercom communications work well until wind noise overwhelms them. I use foam earplugs and still can hear conversations up to 60 or so on minimally faired bikes (wind over the top of a sport fairing is noise), up past 75 or 80 on a touring bike with the windshield up or on a naked bike (smoother airflow than a sportbike fairing). Music is a no go for me. Mostly I don't want the distraction and I am kind of an audiophile and it just doesn't sound good with earplugs in because the speakers can't get loud enough or with no earplugs because of wind noise. Getting the music loud enough to have a decent signal to noise ratio in either case is going to be loud enough to cause the hearing damage the earplugs are trying to prevent. I tried IEM's too and it's the same problem. The music has to be playing louder than the wind noise the IEM's are blocking to get even a crappy 40db s/n which means you get to hear music for a while as you gradually go deaf.

·
site supporter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I would certainly prefer to go deaf as gradually as possible.
Is installation complicated?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not bad. You affix the control unit to the helmet either by clamp or sticky pad, pull out the interior of the helmet and stick the speakers into the speaker pockets in the helmet (your helmet has foam filler pieces that come out to make room for the speakers) tuck the wires out of the way of things, stick a mic on the chin bar and connect to the control unit, charge it up and use it. Takes about an hour if you haven't done one before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried music and podcasts while a rode for awhile. Podcasts where nice on long rides to keep from getting board and music is groovy. However, I have gone back to earplugs only. To really enjoy music (especially podcasts) I had to have it turned up on 10. After hours and hours of riding with it so loud it made me feel exhausted and brain dead.
I feel way more comfortable riding with plugs and am fresher mentally when I arrive to my destination.
Dont change

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had bought a Sena 20 Evo from Cycle Gear and they’re pretty awesome. Cycle Gear will also install it for you on your helmet if you have one locally.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ran a Sena for years and recently switched to PacTalk because a few others in the group switched. The range is not any better on the PacTalk which i think is more a function of the max wattage these type devices are limited to but the clarity on the PacTalk is way better than my Sena was. The PacTalk also connects and reconnects way better if you drift apart in the woods or street. I'll have to hedge a little to be fair and say the Sena was maybe 4 yrs old.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just go for the low-tech high tech approach and have some wireless earphones (airpods don't sneer at me) and am using a motorbike phone holder Motorbike Phone Holder so I can use my phone while riding. Very handy! And no need to faff about with your helmet or anything like that. Been working quite well so far

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I also use a Sena, not really for music at all. (The sound quality sucks) LOL
I use it because I usually ride with 2 buddies that also have them. We can
all talk to each other at the same time in duplex. The leader can warn us about
gravel, pot holes, etc. Plus we can crack jokes, and talk to pass the time
if we need to slab it. Going on almost 4 years trouble free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts