Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
He may not have a bike either and is jsut trying to sucker someone into coming over with their bike so he can steal it from them... ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bbmxta said:
He may not have a bike either and is jsut trying to sucker someone into coming over with their bike so he can steal it from them... ;D
A month ago you would have been correct ;D

I guess im gonna go pick up a torque wrench on friday and some other goodies and then service what needs to be done and wash and wax her up.. anyone is free to join(i could use an extra set of hands to lift the rear so i can adjust the suspension..)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
don't skimp on the torque wrench and be warned a decent one you will be looking at $70-80+ for ft-lbs and around $50-60 for a nice inch-lb one if you even need that one. A lot of people swear by the old human torque wrench and I agree it pays to know when too much is enough by feel but I love using a good torque wrench for my minds sake...especially on items that could cause a major head ache and wallet ache later on. Look at craftsman or snap-on wrenches. Both are good but cost for the decent ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Gulf, if you REALLY can't find anyone, I can help...but I'm about 6 hours drive or so from DFW area. You come to me, I ain't coming to you ;D

I'd edit Ivan's list a little bit. If you've got a pretty good socket wrench, you do not need 2 torque wrenches. I have some 3/8" sockets and some 1/2" sockets, and a 1/2 inch torque wrench. I use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter when I need to use a 3/8 socket with my torque wrench. Trust me, that little adapter is much cheaper than another torque wrench.

I don't recall locktite being required...nevertheless, a good idea to have the stuff. I use the blue exclusively.

Kerosene is NOT chain lube, it is chain CLEANER. You should clean your chain with kerosene, and then apply a good chain lube...and I have certainly never seen any motorcycle chain lube at walmart ;D. I like Maxima Chain Wax.

you also need the service manual, of course. you can download it here: http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm

Like Ivan said, it is not terribly difficult if you have all of the tools...but it is quite time consuming. Took me most of an afternoon, IIRC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gahdzila said:
Gulf, if you REALLY can't find anyone, I can help...but I'm about 6 hours drive or so from DFW area. You come to me, I ain't coming to you ;D

I'd edit Ivan's list a little bit. If you've got a pretty good socket wrench, you do not need 2 torque wrenches. I have some 3/8" sockets and some 1/2" sockets, and a 1/2 inch torque wrench. I use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter when I need to use a 3/8 socket with my torque wrench. Trust me, that little adapter is much cheaper than another torque wrench.

I don't recall locktite being required...nevertheless, a good idea to have the stuff. I use the blue exclusively.

Kerosene is NOT chain lube, it is chain CLEANER. You should clean your chain with kerosene, and then apply a good chain lube...and I have certainly never seen any motorcycle chain lube at walmart ;D. I like Maxima Chain Wax.

you also need the service manual, of course. you can download it here: http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm

Like Ivan said, it is not terribly difficult if you have all of the tools...but it is quite time consuming. Took me most of an afternoon, IIRC.
+1 on the Adapter.. you just made it possible for me to have grocery money for next week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Tried accessing the online service manual from prior posting: "you also need the service manual, of course.  you can download it here:  http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm" but it was not there  :-[


My SV650S has about 330 miles on it. Would like to perform my own work on it, probably not the first tune up (at 600 miles) since Suzuki claims this is THE most important one. But at some point don't want to bring it in for maintenance stuff, or shell out the dough when I could do it at home. Yah, you know, bond with my machine....  :-*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
maq said:
Tried accessing the online service manual from prior posting: "you also need the service manual, of course.  you can download it here:  http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm" but it was not there  :-[
hmmm...looks like the site is down currently.  maybe try again some other time.

the files total around 60 MB I think...so they might have gotten tired of dealing with that much traffic.

edit: home page (www.sv650.org) is currently down, too. try it again later, or tomorrow, or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
maq said:
Would like to perform my own work on it, probably not the first tune up (at 600 miles) since Suzuki claims this is THE most important one.
Just change your oil, clean and lube the chain and all will be fine. Suzuki tells you it's the most important one because if they tell you "it's no big deal you can do it yourself", then you don't give them money.

GulfCoast, if you need a hand send me a PM. It's eaiser than you think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
Just change your oil, clean and lube the chain and all will be fine. 
I disagree.

Re-torqueing all of the critical fasteners is one of the most important parts of the first service. You wouldnt want your gearshift falling off while going 70 down the freeway, would you? happened to me...and yes, it sucked. and yes, it did happen, even though I did have the 600 mile service done at the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
My current bike 1700cc aircooled, pushrod v-twin Yamaha which vibrates more than any SV can ever dream of. Things fall off whether you torque them or not. For the most part the oil change and the chain lube/adjustment are the most important things you can do for the 600mi service.

I'm glad your dealer worked out for you. I'm 99.99999999999946% sure that they changed your oil, and lubed your chain and and that was about it. But I'm sure they charged you a pretty penny to do it. So far out of the 4 bikes I've owned and never put a torque wrench to I've never had one(1) thing fall off. I guess I'm lucky, or I can feel when things get loose while riding. Either way the dealer service is a ripoff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
maybe its a rip off.. but it just seems like its more than an oil change and chain care - but i agree that these are probably some of the most important parts of the 1st service.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top