Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the 2022 MotoGP thread, but I'll make a new one for it here.
It looks like, during the Jerez test today, Suzuki has made a shock announcement to the teams and riders that it will be pulling out of MotoGP at the end of the 2022 season (financial reasons). It's not out yet, but a public announcement is thought to be set for sometime in the next day or two.. Suzuki to quit MotoGP World Championship at the end of this season?
This is rumble number two..
Questioning their intent for their motorcycle manufacturing effort over the coming years in general. Even though they pulled their automobile line out of the US a few years ago, it's still their biggest market segment by a lot, and they look to be focusing on that and the EV market. Given nothing actually "new" in the motorcycle lineup for some years now, along with dropping 2 wheel sales figures. Nothing concrete for sure, but gotta wonder.. Interesting Notes From Suzuki’s Annual Report – SuperbikePlanet

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
Very sad news on both fronts indeed.

Reactions: URBANJUNGLE

·
Vendor
206 Posts
There are just too many competitors in the segment Suzuki is in. Sales are not increasing and profits are not there to support development. Suzuki does ok with automobile sales in their markets. So somewhere in there some tough decisions may have to be made.
Would not surprise me to see Suzuki and Kawasaki become one company for instance.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Sad to hear. Sounds like E-suite staff has been asleep at the wheel. It would be an interesting move if Kawasaki acquired the brand, as Shelby suggested. It would be a strategic acquisition on Kaw's part with deep synergies. Kaw has the footprint in terms of distribution, and Suz has the manufacturing footprint to support Kaw's dramatic growth.

Reactions: URBANJUNGLE

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sad to hear. Sounds like E-suite staff has been asleep at the wheel. It would be an interesting move if Kawasaki acquired the brand, as Shelby suggested. It would be a strategic acquisition on Kaw's part with deep synergies. Kaw has the footprint in terms of distribution, and Suz has the manufacturing footprint to support Kaw's dramatic growth.
Wouldn't be the first time they were in bed together. Through the mid/later 2000's, Suzuki dirt bikes were yellow Kawasakis. Exact same bike, made by Kawi, just with yellow plastics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That’s surprising. There was always such a fierce rivalry between the dirt bike lines.

My brother and I were discussing this earlier today. Between the lower numbers of young people getting into riding, and the political/environmental push to ‘get rid’ of motorcycles with the new ‘Green’ future looming, that maybe Suzuki has seen the writing on the wall, and is focusing finances and development into other areas?

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
the political/environmental push to ‘get rid’ of motorcycles with the new ‘Green’ future looming,
"You’ll own nothing. And you’ll be happy."
-- Klaus Schwab, World Economic Forum

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
Sorry Tee. Couldn't help myself.
It is okay, Geo, no need to apologize. I only feel for the tiny angel in heaven that cries a tear any time the SVR Motorcycle Forum discussions veer political*.
Hand Eye Human body Sculpture Jaw

Hopefully, Suzuki motorcycles survive. I was concerned they might not make it through the Great Recession, 2008- 2009, but they did! Partnering with Kawasaki as they did in the past would help with development costs.

*Seriously though, a little politics is okay (I like your comment). We are just trying to keep SVR a fun place. :) There are plenty of other places on the internet to sling discord.

·
Vendor
206 Posts
The Kawasaki KLV 1000.....was a Suzuki DL 1000 with orange paint and Kawasaki decals! I have done many clutch baskets for those!
Suzuki has a rather strong and building outboard boat engine reputation. Makes me wonder if even Yamaha might be considered a partner if bike sales don't turn around. They are not spending money on R&D either. They too have a strong boat engine program, the Suzuki version could be a "price leader" part of that partnership.
Racing used to sell bikes ( and cars). But I think today racing has no relationship with what the public buys. Used to be a showroom CR 125 Elsinore or RM 125 could win any event except the national pro events. Today the factory bikes share very little with what you can buy........and the money spent to refine these bikes is astronomical. I hate to see Suzuki pull out of racing, but that is partly on the racing organizations for rules that promote spending on non stock parts and design.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It’s Political, yet it isn’t. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when a decision maker says, “I don’t ride motorcycles, so neither should any of you…” (masked in many other excuses, of course), and they’re not opposed by the majority because they don’t ride, either… 🤔

Have to watch what happens in Paris.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Lots of rumor's going around. Some speculation has come up about Suzuki's emmision test data being untruthful somewhat like Volkswagen did years ago. Many believe they are preparing for the fallout and fines they'll have to pay.
Quitting motogp is just one cost effective way in dealing it. All speculation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"You’ll own nothing. And you’ll be happy."
-- Klaus Schwab, World Economic Forum
I can't believe that it's really happening and how fast. I'm not looking for counseling here, but every day there's a new heartbreak and I'm getting despondent over it. It's made me realize how much your picture future affects your day to day. It's killing my drive for things. Why bother if they are this capable of taking it away. Who knows what they'll take next. And there are millions and millions that believe the BS that we've got to do this or the earth will perish. I've always loved Suzuki. Have a DRZ400 and SV650 and lusted after a GSXR750 for years. The climate change narrative is proving to be all they need to finally take the world over.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I can't believe that it's really happening and how fast. I'm not looking for counseling here, but every day there's a new heartbreak and I'm getting despondent over it. It's made me realize how much your picture future affects your day to day. It's killing my drive for things. Why bother if they are this capable of taking it away. Who knows what they'll take next. And there are millions and millions that believe the BS that we've got to do this or the earth will perish. I've always loved Suzuki. Have a DRZ400 and SV650 and lusted after a GSXR750 for years. The climate change narrative is proving to be all they need to finally take the world over.
It sucks when unfortunate sh$t keeps happening, it’s easy to let your imagination run wild with all the possible causes and eventual consequences that will lead to Doom. DOOM! It's going to be ok bro, lots of rumors for now. I think Suzuki will continue to make solid bikes and play a role in motorcycling for years to come.

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
If the magic oracle is right, there's a big recession coming and pulling their nonessential products out of the market before the incur in bigger losses only makes sense. I wonder what other small brands will do too.

·
Vendor
206 Posts
We'll be alright. History will teach you all about the future and what effects changes like this will have.

While there may be names around that are the same...you cannot buy a NORTON, INDIAN, HENDERSON, etc. Or a Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Mercury, Hudson etc. These were all big names in their market at one time.

For that matter, most here don't realize that electric cars were far more common than gasoline for some time....in the early days of traveling in something other than a horse powered buggy. Gasoline was frowned on as dangerous. So was going faster than 60 mph, as it what thought humans could not breathe at that speed.

So, climate change or not, politics or not, the Sun will come up.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
there's a big recession coming
Tee, I'm not talking politics here, I'm talking economics, which is in my wheelhouse. To provide culprits for our current malaise would be talking politics.

Recession? Yes. Some say it's already here. Recessions suck. Unfortunately, if the pieces are in their proper places (and they are), a recession can be followed by stagflation (slow growth with inflation), which leads to depression. Because we are "printing money" at a rate never seen before in this republic, we have devastating inflation now and ahead. And our real GDP (economic) growth is slowing due to a number of causes, all of them caused by bad actors. We are facing stagflation in the coming months.

The ONLY way we can avoid a depression is to stop spending (stop printing money), and to jack up interest rates by 1,000 basis points (10%) at the very least. This will tank the economy rather quickly, but it will rein in inflation. This has to occur to get out of this mess.

But the powers that be, for obvious reasons, don't want to do this. Seemingly, every day our leaders (left and right) propose new spending bills for the cause de jure (Ukraine, global warming, etc). It's the rip the band aid off fast or slow paradox. Either way it's going to hurt.

My recommendation? Don't keep a majority of your assets in paper (cash, stocks, bonds). Inflation will kill their value, and the stock market is the last to go, but it goes dramatically, with few liquidity options for investors. And stay out of bonds, they are dying with every uptick in interest rates.

Hard assets like real estate, motorcycles, cars and others are where to invest. Gold and other precious metals are ideal hard assets. And don't be fooled by the romance of global digital currencies. They are the most dangerous of fiat currencies.

We are in for a bumpy ride in the coming months and years folks. So hang onto your ass Fred! (from Smokey and the Bandit)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts