Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THIS is the best invention I think I have ever seen.
As soon as the water recedes, the traffic cones will be put back. Right side up.

I promise.

;)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
THIS is the best invention I think I have ever seen.
f--k yea! child labor!!! :D

seriously though, is bagging with shovels and cones the best thing these people can manage? Why not jury rig some kind of grain or feed hopper that can churn out a few hundred bags a minute?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm sure they have more mechanized means of filling them, but that doesn't mean everyone else should sit around with their thumbs up their asses.

Even if you have a machine churning out "a few hundred a minute"(a tall order, mind you), if you have 300,000(half of the ND population) filling bags at just 2 a minute, you end up with another sh*tload of bags a minute ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Whats it matter if they have property on the banks? Its ****** now anyway. I agree, they said they put demolition teams out there, but it didn't show what they did. I'm sure they did the best they could, though.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do people build property on the riverbanks?
They don't have to. It's flat here.....check out this radar image. Pay no attention to the weather stuff going on and instead focus on the topography around the river. It runs right down the border between North Dakota and Minnesota. There's a reason it's called a flood plain. If folks were to not build anywhere vulnerable to a swollen river, they'd have to back off a few miles from the "normal" riverbanks.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=MVX&loop=yes

Plus, the Red River has plenty of bends and twists. When there's a lot of snow and/or a rapid melt, there's simply too much water for the river to contend with. We've had a lot of snow this winter, and not only that....we had record rain levels in the fall resulting in the ground being saturated.

;)

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
When I think "North Dakota," "Coast Guard" does not come immediately to my mind.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
There seems to be a very clear attitude difference between this natural disaster and others we've seen in this country.

These people seem to be working together, keeping a positive outlook, not blaming others for the problems they're having, and are doing something about the problem themselves, and not waiting for someone else to help them.

My comment about the photo dealt with 2 issues. 1.), the resourcefullness of them. Conveyor belts and grain feeders require power. These people may not have electricity, or the fuel to power a generator. They're using what they HAVE. And 2.), they're working together to solve a problem. Not banding together in large, violent groups, looting, and blaming others for their own laziness.

I'm just saying.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
jobs the white people don't wanna do?
Jobs that some people feel that they are better than. I've had coworkers look at me like I had two heads for telling them that I worked construction during college...then I tell them that I had to take a pretty big pay cut to go from construction into an entry level finance job, that really throws 'em.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Jobs that some people feel that they are better than. I've had coworkers look at me like I had two heads for telling them that I worked construction during college...then I tell them that I had to take a pretty big pay cut to go from construction into an entry level finance job, that really throws 'em.
its funny how white collar people don't know how it works "out there"

that's the biggest tragedy with the financial crisis. the blue/no collar workers were the ones buyin all the sh!t that keeps this country running.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts