Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. Ive got a copper pointy sporty from 2003.
Bike has been rarely ridden for the last 10 years. I bought it in july last year and done about 3000miles. 8000miles total now. Im in UK.

December 23rd i have left the bike at my workplace warehouse. Everything was working great. I MIGHT have left it in 1st gear.

January 6th i start it up and roll out. Immediately notice that I now have a PROBLEM:

The bike doesnt shift into 1st gear while in motion, or doesnt shift couple of gears down.
So if I go to 3rd gear, i can shift to second, but not 1st. If i go to 5th gear, i can downshift to 3rd, but no lower and will have to start from 3rd..
Atleast thats what it feels like.

• I press down on the lever, it goes all the way down but nothing happens. Just a free motion. Nothing engages. After some riding or shifting up and squeezing clutch on bitepoint, i finally manage to shift down.
  • When it finally drops into 1st gear, the gear lever doesnt get blocked, like usually, from pressing down. (Thats when you know youre in 1st, you know what i mean?) It still has full motion just as if there was somewhere to shift into, except nothing happens.

I hope you guys can help me out with this... I suspect that the mechanism that blocks the lever from going down while youre on 1st gear is getting stuck? Lubrication needed? But then why would i have full motion of lever but no shifting? Like Ive said, befora storage everything was working great.

Oil change 10w40 was done 200 miles ago, its still pink inside... I doubt temp in the unit went below 0 degrees celsium much during those 2 weeks. Ive ridden the bike for 2 hrs+, on 2 separate days now.

QUESTION: Is it better to be left alone untill i figure whats wrong, or do i ride it to work and hope problem goes away as mechanisms get worked through/relube in process?

Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
8,361 Posts
...Like Ive said, befora storage everything was working great.
Try shoot some penetrating lube on the external shift linkage and pivots. It everything was fine before sitting then fair chance that is all that is wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Like Ive said, befora storage everything was working great.
Try shoot some penetrating lube on the external shift linkage and pivots. It everything was fine before sitting then fair chance that is all that is wrong. Good luck.
Thanks, Im trying it with wd40 and gt85.

Sound like the return spring on the shift mechanism could be out of place or broken.

Mad
I ll have a look for it if spraying externally wont help, appreciate the thought.

The sidestand is not in the way of the lever, Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had a similar problem while having bad oil(2000km, I suppose i wont be buying the 5100 motul).. the gear lever got stuck tho, I could only use 2 and 3 with problems downshifting. Changed the oil and it got fixed.

If the lever moves freely but nothing happens, its almost certainly a displaced spring or fork inside the gearbox

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did you have a problem with the Motul 5100? I used cheap stuff for the first 500mi change (new bike) and then used 5100 for the next two changes, about 7000 mi total with no issues at all. Went to 7100 on the last change before I sold the bike and it was still running perfectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you have a problem with the Motul 5100?
yep, I'm quite hard on the bike in-city(33mpg /slipon) and also get bored on the highway, so I go 100+ mph .. after 2000 km the 5100 was pi-pi
Depends a lot on your riding style

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Have you checked your clutch? Transmission problems after winter storage would be like waking up with a broken arm. I'm sure the engine oil has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yep, I'm quite hard on the bike in-city(33mpg /slipon) and also get bored on the highway, so I go 100+ mph .. after 2000 km the 5100 was pi-pi
Depends a lot on your riding style
My smileage in town is consistently in the 35 mpg range since I got Road 5's and am more confident with the bike. When I first got the bike it was getting mid 40's mpg in town. Happy to hear someone else is getting similar mileage; most folks on hear are reporting 40 + mpg. Nice to know that the SV's survive hard usage if maintained. I am loving the reliability. I live in a hilly area that contributes to reduced mileage as well. Plus the Leo V pipe on her makes beautiful music and begs to be heard.

Nanomed are you getting the bike up to operating temperature before trying to shift into gear? Mine shifts like crap if not fully warmed up and/or clutch is not properly adjusted. Also I might be imagining this and it seems as the shifting gets less smooth it coincides with oil change interval. The oil seems to give a message when it wants changing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Plus the Leo V pipe on her makes beautiful music and begs to be heard.

The oil seems to give a message when it wants changing.
Heh, my slipon is also a LeoV - I love it. I always go with Supercorsas/GpRacers on my front for good braking.
SVs really survive hard usage if maintained, also an upgrade for the crap brakes is a nice to have(braided lines and R1 radial master plus sintered pads feel a lot better).
The gearbox gets cranky the minute it feels the oil is getting old, so that's a faithful reminder.

Guys reporting 40+ probably ride in smaller cities or out on the highway alot. When in heavy traffic, your clutch hand numbs up and you're riding a tad aggressive, you'll usually drop well under 40mpg. Best mpg I got was 51(passenger included) on a long group ride with cruisers and choppers doing about 60 mph, so it's definitely possible.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you checked your clutch? Transmission problems after winter storage would be like waking up with a broken arm. I'm sure the engine oil has nothing to do with it.
Not entirely true. There are some brands of oil the SV does not like and shifting will be problematic. Honda GEN4 oil comes to mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bikes been sitting again, till i change front springs, which hopefully ill manage to do this weekend. Riding got too weird.

The thing is, its got a fresh oil, ive had this same type "Castrol power 1" before and it was doing fine. And yes Ive had it up to normal temperatures, which is like 98 C

I remembered that before i left it, i sprayed it with ACF 50, the bottom too... so maybe it got sticky or something...

Kenneth what do you mean by checked my clutch? Just the cable adjustment? Ive tried to readjust it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Problem solved.
I lubed all the cables and readjusted clutch following clutch mantra. Dissassembled fully the gearchange lever - it was VERY stiff to turn, so removed it from footpeg assembly (using a vice to hold the lever and banged a rod into the inside of the bolt hole to get them separste), removed the brown bush, cleaned all the shit and greased the bush from inside. Lever became smoother after reassembly, and all works great now. Thanks all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
bahaha that's a nice problem to have.. pretty cheap solution too

but washing that bike thing a tad more often would probably be a good idea 🤣

1 - 16 of 16 Posts