Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running anything besides the stock seat on their race bike?

I've got a 2nd gen w/ 1st gen subframe... Not really expecting to change that, but I'm curious about what options are out there.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No? Hm...

I figure the less foam there is between your ass & the rear tire the more feedback ya feel w/ the booty.... kinda figured there might be somethin else out there.... stock seat is pretty thick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try both and see what you like, being comfortable is very important to lap times. If you keep shfting around you'll hate it. Everyone is different for sure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
No? Hm...

I figure the less foam there is between your ass & the rear tire the more feedback ya feel w/ the booty.... kinda figured there might be somethin else out there.... stock seat is pretty thick.
lol. only in the racing forum have I ever heard that the stock sv seat is "a little thick"

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
my r6 had a superbike tail and my sv uses the stock seat. i have to say, i prefer the superbike tail and if a ever need to order a new body for the sv, i'll order a superbike tail.

plus, they seem to sit a bit higher, which i like.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got a 1st gen subframe on there? That's the trick set-up from what I've heard cuz it supposedly raises it up a little... my bike came that way from the previous owner.

Can anyone verify that? Thought I read that on here somewhere.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I cant verify the 1st gen subframe on 2nd gen bike thinger....but I do have a thin seat setup on my 2001. I believe the seat is the stock plank stripped down with 3/8 foam attached. It feels good to me, but it can create a sharp angle in your knee because the seat height is low. Next time we're at NHMS you can try it out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yo! Well, I guess I could let you ride my bike ...what I was actually thinking is that since you've got a 1st gen subframe, maybe this seat will fit on your bike...?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hah! Silly me... with all the offers I get from people asking me if I want to ride their bike I assumed that's what you meant :p

No worries, I'm all set either way... I like the seat being "on top" of the bike where it is.

It's unlikely that I'll make any changes, I was just curious aboiut what options were out there for less padding to get more "seat of the pants" feedback.

PS... Don't hang off so much ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
PS... Don't hang off so much ;)
You must be right because Tyler and Ken both talked to me about that at the end of last season - I like what I was doing - but everyone who's been helping me is saying the same thing - so I'd better listen to ya all! I've already got some new moves practiced up for this year!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, cool... Not sure what exactly THEY said to ya, but I try to hang far enough to help me and the bike, but not too far that it hurts me feel what's going on with it. The further you go the more disconnected you become. Gotta find the balance.

You'll find it. :)

Pictures help a lot, too.... I STILL look at the pics that John Owens snaps of me & compare myself to the more skilled & experienced riders.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that seat's a lot thinner... but it's also a lot lower cuz it's still a seat that mounts in the stock location.

I was lookin to see if anyone was running a superbike tail like Hotbodies makes.
(Of course I can't really use Hotbodies.)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting! Is that what makes a Superbike tail - one that dosent mount or seat the rider in the stock location? Is a superbike tail usually higher than the stock location? What else makes a suberbike tail different form a SS tail?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It eliminates the stock seat but doesnt drop it down to the subframe... It's a solid tailpiece that has no cushion so you get more feedback through your kaboose. Some opt to put some padding on there though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would not race or track day without a flat pan seat. I switched halfway through my first race season in 06 and I never looked back. As others have posted, your body position is a couple inch's lower and you will have a better feel for what the bike is doing. When I was on the stock seat couldnt feel a thing and I had trouble gripping the tank. Now I dont have those problems. Now Im just slow.. :)~

What I did,
I got a used seat. Cut the foam down and added a hard foam pad you can by at LP and put the cover back on.. Used a heavy duty staple gun... LOL you have to bend the staples down or they stap U in the bummmmm.

Here is what is looked like with the stock seat

And now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts