Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Traxxion drop in damping rod/emulator kit in my 07 naked. I'm ~180lbs (without gear). Springs are .925. Have a '06 ZX10 shock in rear. I'm curious to know what weight oil people are running with this setup. I know that 10wt is recommended and 2turns is considered standard street setup for the emulator. I found that 10wt was way too light with regards to rebound; the front end was really bouncy. I went up to 15 wt and the rebound is much better, but still actually a little fast. Also, I am only running 1 turn on the emulator or the front is too harsh on big bumps (I regularly ride on a very bumpy twisty road). So right now, the front feels pretty good, though I'm actually thinking about going up to 17.5wt oil (mixing 15 and 20). A buddy runs 20wt and his bike feels more planted, but also too harsh (despite only.75 turn on the emulator).

So do many other folks find that running heavier oil, even with the traxxion rods, is necessary for proper rebound damping? Also, anyone else running the emulator at lower settings than is recommended?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm interested in responses. I brazed and drilled my damper rods as per instructions with race tech emulators, running 10 wt oil and 2 turns in on the emulators. I think I could do with slightly heavier oil, but I don't like that it 15W oil would be like molases when it gets colder.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I run Traxxion rods and emus with 10 weight oil. My guess is that the lack of responses tells us that most people are doing the same ? I have them set at 1 3/4 turns, and I will probably go less whenever I get around to it. Generally they work great for the riding I do, slightly harsh on some larger hits is my only complaint.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run Traxxion rods and emus with 10 weight oil. My guess is that the lack of responses tells us that most people are doing the same ? I have them set at 1 3/4 turns, and I will probably go less whenever I get around to it. Generally they work great for the riding I do, slightly harsh on some larger hits is my only complaint.
So your rebound is OK with the 10wt oil then?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I find it hard to believe that 1 turn of preload on the emulators makes it feel harsh. I've never run lower than 3 and I didn't think it felt too rough (even jumping a curb at the track didn't feel too bad).

What is your oil height set at? I know that only effects bottoming, but if you are blowing through the entire stroke with light compression that could be your harshness.

I've heard of people going a little higher than 10wt, but never past 15wt. A few have gone lower than the 10wt as well.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
10 wt and 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 turns, I can't remember. They were at three and it was great on the track, but a little stiff for the street. 125 mm oil height.

I'm using traxxion rods and emus with sonic springs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find it hard to believe that 1 turn of preload on the emulators makes it feel harsh.
No, it's not harsh at 1 turn. Plush, but a bit bouncy.

What is your oil height set at?
Can't remember; but it's the length recommended in the Traxxion instructions.

A few have gone lower than the 10wt as well.
with 5 wt oil, my forks would be pogo sticks

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
'05 SV650: Traxxion rods, Race Tech emus and springs, 10 wt oil

'02 SV650: Stock rods welded and drilled, Debrix emus, Sonic springs, 20 wt oil

·
Registered
261 Posts
I weigh 145 pounds and on my second gen with the traxxion drop in kit and .90 springs I have the emulators at 3 turns and 10 weight oil, I split a liter between the 2 forks and call it a day. It works very well for me on my track bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts