Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a tank painted for their bike? I am so tired of looking for a blue 03 replacement that I thought I might go the repaint route. I'd like to make sure that I'm not spending more than it would cost to go to Oneida Suzuki and buy one though...so in that spirit, ho much would I be looking at to get lets say a copper tank, primed and repainted blue? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'd do it myself...but thats me. Local custom shop painted parts of my friends bike, for 400$, that was for the lower fairing and the tail. I'd assume that a gas tank would be much less, since its small than both of those things combined. The more work you do yourself, the cheaper it would be. Not too hard to prep the tank and primer it yourself. Then drop it off for them to shoot the paint and clearcoat it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are trying to do it on the cheap, find a small auto body shop. Real small, like 1 person who has their own shop and is starving for work. Strip the tank yourself, and then take it to them for painting. If you buy the paint on your own, you might be able to get it done for less than $100.

After my Ninja was stolen, and subsequently recovered, I repaired and sanded all the plastic myself. I was able to get all the plastic on the bike painted for under $200.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Is that blue a candy? Think it is... If it is, it's harder and therefore more expensive to colour match right. There's a reason I resprayed my whole bike in solids :)

Still, respraying your tank should always be cheaper than buying a new one, full stop. Finding a good one on Ebay or at a breakers isn't so easy, since tanks tend to eat it up in any crash big enough to salvage a bike.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Buying paint yourself for the painter might be cheaper, but If you dont want to severly piss them off, talk to them first. Alot of people will buy "cheap" paint that the sprayer dosent use often, and probably detests immensly. Talk to the painter first about what brand of paint your looking at before making your purchase.

My friend is spraying a 1957 chevy car right now with customer supplied paint. Let me just say that after spraying everything with (ghey) single stage Concept, the car needs to be sanded out and re-painted again with different paint. 1K$ later on paint (again) the thing is on its way to greatness. Just be carefull.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate it guys. Never had any auto/bike piece painted seperately before. The solid color thing makes a lot of sense and since I'm on a naked it might definitely be worth my time to prep all the painted bits and get the whole thing done that way. Hmmmm...In any case, if i do the alot of sanding and priming it seems like I'd be coming in cheaper if I got the tank for 200 or less say. Definitely a possibility... :)

Evil...you know anyone decent around here?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Around here, my connections are lost. I had a connection at Maaco, but she moved away. I think theres a few local guys that paint bikes over at ride-ny.com I havent checked it out in awhile, but I think its "frank the tank" who has painted a few members bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts