Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little tech help if you all wouldn't mind.

06 SV650.... last ridden around early May. (and one of those was a 12 hour VA and back trip in the pouring rain no issues while riding but shortly after- she crapped out on me- so water in the tank is a potential issue)

Battery is good, spark plugs are fresh- and the ones we pulled were BONE DRY and clean (even after multiple cranks) and air does not *appear* to be an issue (although my air filter does need a cleaning), and the fuel pump primes when the key is turned.

What is in issue is when the tank was pulled and air box removed- we pulled the fuel line from the T joint and cranked the engine.... no fuel- not a thing.

So it appears my engine isn't getting fuel. Okay.

It was implied to me that it was possible to simple empty potentially offending fuel in the tank and refill with fresh fuel in case water did make it's way to the lines....

So QUESTION
is this possible with the SV- could the fix really be that simple??

If not- what would be your thoughts on next step?

no I don't have a manual on me- and no I'm not super wrenchy- (pictures are good).... I like doing it- but I need all the help I can get. So ....

HALP please :eek:ccasion14: My health insurance finally kicks in Saturday and I haven't ridden in months- I'm dying that my bike doesn't work AND I can ride on Saturday!!!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
If you aren't getting fuel out of the line when you crank it...you aren't hearing the pump prime when you turn the key. Likely you're hearing the STV motor cycling..which does sound like you'd expect...I guess.:) No matter...your pump isn't pumping.

If you are getting power to the fuel pump (easy to check), it will need to come out. Not a big deal, take off tank and unbolt the pump. Pulls out of the bottom. If water got in the tank you likely have rust...which needs dealt with.

Too many 'if's' to go into right now. Please check to see if you have power at the pump and we'll go from there. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay will double check tomorrow- I could swear I can hear the damn thing priming- over I'm at 15Kish on this bike so I figured I knew what the start up sounds were but maybe I'm confusing that with some other widget on my oh so complicated bike (rolls eyes) lol but you could be right... will get into it tomorrow- My friend coming over has same year SV so we can compare sounds to double check :)

I can't really spend more than an hour or two at a time with the bike on the week days- so hopefully this weekend we can get it sorted :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay well the fuel pump DEFINITELY works.

we went to take off the tank- realized we pulled the wrong line and double checked the fuel pump.

It definitely works.

Friend thinks the power commander might be screwing it up. when you turn the bike on- it clicks on- the green lights flash- and then another click.

I have no idea if it is supposed to "click" twice... or if it's the PC shutting off- which in turn is making the bike not start.

I am useless on software stuff- I purchased the bike with the PC in it- so I have no idea to check or what to do with the stupid thing. I am not sure now to check spark by pulling the wires or if I should pursue the PC issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not the power commander.

well it appears we now have a spark issue. sweet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay.

so after a beer. and some more help from an expert. PC does not appear to be an issue. And neither is spark- brand new plugs- and we checked the coils for spark. So we are back to fuel issues.

But I'm done monkeying around for the day- the humidity has crept back up and the skeeters are out- I don't work with skeeters. They eat me alive and I get angry very quickly. So I'm done. Will come back for more later I guess.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll do that tomorrow- thankfully there is not much fuel in there- and I can probably just transfer it to my truck and let my truck burn it since I filled that up Thursday- so it'll mix and burn in a week.

I bought some seafoam when I got oil changing stuff Friday- so I can pump that through as well.

We got the bike on the porch today so I don't have to half put everything back together now which is nice too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts