Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
While moving? Gyroscopic effect, centrifugal force, and balance.

Gyroscopic effect when it's going fast, centrifugal force when it's leaned over in a turn, and rider balance when it's moving slowly or stopped. Actually it's a combination of all of that but each plays more of a factor in different situations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm curious, what were the two arguments? Of course, it's the gyro effect of the wheels. That's why when you go under 5mph you don't have enough of that effect to keep from having to steer. AND it's why we can ride our bikes with no handlebars (not recommended).

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

Gyroscopic effect when it's going fast, centrifugal force when it's leaned over in a turn, and rider balance when it's moving slowly or stopped. Actually it's a combination of all of that but each plays more of a factor in different situations.
thats what i meant.....;D
thanks for saying the right way

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what if the bike is on a treadmill with the treadmill going 50mph with the bike standing still, will it still stand up, if no one is holding it up?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
So what if the bike is on a treadmill with the treadmill going 50mph with the bike standing still, will it still stand up, if no one is holding it up?
Yeah for a little while, untill it veers off the treadmill or the drag of the tires causes it to be pushed backwards off of the treadmill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah for a little while, untill it veers off the treadmill or the drag of the tires causes it to be pushed backwards off of the treadmill.
This sounds like an awesome experiment!!! Only problem is, where are you going to find a treadmill that can hold 300+ lbs and is long enough? FAT FARM!!!!:rock:

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I've ridden a bicycle on stationary rollers. The only thing holding it up is balance and to a small extent the gyroscopic effect of the wheels spinning.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Newton's laws of motion.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Gyroscopic forces help some, especially at speed. However, the major component is the geometry of the chassis (mostly the trail) and steering by the rider. There have been several experiments with counter-rotating masses canceling out the gyroscopic force of the wheels. The result was a perfectly rideable motorcycle. There are also "bicycles on skis" that are easily controlled in snow.

Think how easy it is to ride a racing bicycle at walking speed. The available gyroscopic forces are tiny.

And don't flame me if you don't believe this. It's not my opinion, it's a researchable fact.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure a treadmill can get the wheels moving fast enough for you to stay on the bike and upright. But then again, all you need is around 12 mph. It most likely will not have the power to move with that much weight on it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
so no one here has seen motorcycle stunters on stationary rollers ? or in a barrel

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i wish i could find the video, but harley does their new bike engine check on a stationary device that looks like a couple of roller stations. but the bike doesn't appear (from what i remember) to be attached to anything to keep it upright; just centrifugal force.

·
Registered
667 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, I am not the science type.

I seem to remember Bill Nye telling me that it is centripetal force, not centrifugal.

Is this correct? I tried to look at wikipedia's article and just got confused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a huge mythbusters fan, they did an experiment with an airplane on a treadmill. The argument was that an airplane could not get up enough speed to take off on a treadmill. They just used a long enough tarp and towed it behind a truck in the opposing direction.
Maybe something could be tried with a motorcycle. Match the speed of the motorcycle to the 'tarp' being pulled in the opposing direction at the same rate.
There are also rollers for sale that I saw somewhere on here for around 30 bucks from harbor freight.
You would probably have to anchor the rollers to prevent the sudden changes in torque from shifting from kicking them out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts