Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://roadlok.com/

I saw an ad they posted on FaceBook and contacted them. Originally I didn't get a response, so I sent an e-mail. They said they had all their testers signed up.

Today I get an e-mail from them saying that one of their testers had backed out.

No, they don't make a lock for the SV's calipers, but they do for the GSX-R calipers that I installed with the new front end.

Apparently it's a piece of billet aluminum that mounts over the caliper. Two pins in the caliper are replaced by their bits; one of them has a barrel lock inside.

I spoke with the sales manager and told him about my riding habits, and that I'm pretty active with a site (here) that sees lots of GSX-R front ends installed, so if I like the product and post good reviews here, he'll probably get more business from you guys.

It shipped out today. I'll post pics up when it arrives and keep you guys posted on how well it works.

I don't think there's a price for it yet.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I found the "How It Works" page is still a bit vague. So, does that locking-pin go through the capliper body and extend through to "pin" the brake at a rotor-slot? or some other slot/space on the rotor?

Isn't that like the big rotor-locks that are already available? I mean, yes, I see that the RoadLok is mounted directly on the bike and stays with the bike, but I'm just saying.

Also, what do they mean "bike will just stall" if the pin is left in? I figure that if the pin is still inserted and somebody were to try to take off, the front would "lock" and put the rider off-balance, possibly causing a drop? Even if there isn't a drop, wouldn't the shearing force between the pin and rotor capable of damaging caliper and/or rotor?

I don't know, I just like the bright orange cable that runs up to my handlebars.
Not knocking this product. It seems more conevenient that carrying around a brake-lock and possibly forgetting the standard brake-locks available already could cause damage to fork, caliper, and rotor.

Well... I guess what I'm trying to say is... Let us know how you like it :D
Just wanting to point out some points of interest to cover during your review.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I found the "How It Works" page is still a bit vague. So, does that locking-pin go through the capliper body and extend through to "pin" the brake at a rotor-slot? or some other slot/space on the rotor?
sounds like it.

Also, what do they mean "bike will just stall" if the pin is left in? I figure that if the pin is still inserted and somebody were to try to take off, the front would "lock" and put the rider off-balance, possibly causing a drop?
It seems to stop the wheel from rotating at all, so you gain no momentum and wouldn't fall over or bend anything. If you always put your disk lock snug up against the caliper, you get the same effect. Trust me.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I wonder what the ratio of people that screw up their own bikes versus then number of thefts prevented is for this style device.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
wow for someone who's bike was stock for so long you moved quick with that. Awesome, look forward to the results considering I don't have a lock right now.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't that like the big rotor-locks that are already available? I mean, yes, I see that the RoadLok is mounted directly on the bike and stays with the bike, but I'm just saying.

Yes. I like the fact that I won't have to attach a 2 pound lock to my belt loop when I'm riding.

Also, what do they mean "bike will just stall" if the pin is left in? I figure that if the pin is still inserted and somebody were to try to take off, the front would "lock" and put the rider off-balance, possibly causing a drop? Even if there isn't a drop, wouldn't the shearing force between the pin and rotor capable of damaging caliper and/or rotor?

It seems to me that it locks the wheel so you can't move forward.

I used to own an Intruder 1400. I dropped that b!tch twice because I had a Kryptonite disc lock on it that I forgot to remove. Put the bike into first gear, drop the clutch, move forward 4 inches, fall down and go boom.

Haven't used one since, because of that.

I'm hoping this lock will work as well but be safer.

wow for someone who's bike was stock for so long you moved quick with that. Awesome, look forward to the results considering I don't have a lock right now.

Hardly. LOL The bike has been slowly changing over the years. I've had this front end in my shed for six months or so. I finally just put it on. I saw this opportunity and had to jump.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It seems to stop the wheel from rotating at all, so you gain no momentum and wouldn't fall over or bend anything.
Right, in theory at least. I´m still not sure how this should work without either having some slack or rolling the bike back and forth by inches to find the lock hole.

If you always put your disk lock snug up against the caliper, you get the same effect. Trust me.
But not in both directions. That (besides having it on the bike all the time) would be the main benefit I see. If it really works, that is. At least you can´t accidentally crush your fender with this design.

Ciao
Jan

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I knew there'd be interest in this product here. Who knows, they may become sponsors...
It would actually be a great opportunity here for the fact that there are quite a few with the gsxr front ends that don't have the steering lock anymore (oooo me me).

·
Registered
262 Posts
The problem with any of these locks is the simple fact that it doesn't stop a couple of people from throwing your bike into a van.

Simply put, IMHO these locks aren't much better than the OEM steering lock on your bike. It doesn't accomplish much more than a steering lock does.

If someone really wants your bike, they won't fiddle around with trying to ride it away; they'll simply load it into a van or a pickup.

Chain your bike to a manhole cover, or rain gutter while downtown. At home, store it in a garage, or chain it to some other hardpoint, cuz these wheel locks are useless.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem with any of these locks is the simple fact that it doesn't stop a couple of people from throwing your bike into a van.

Simply put, IMHO these locks aren't much better than the OEM steering lock on your bike. It doesn't accomplish much more than a steering lock does.

If someone really wants your bike, they won't fiddle around with trying to ride it away; they'll simply load it into a van or a pickup.

Chain your bike to a manhole cover, or rain gutter while downtown. At home, store it in a garage, or chain it to some other hardpoint, cuz these wheel locks are useless.

True, it won't stop a determined thief, but neither will your garage. If it'll stop a petty crook, it's worth it.

I've heard this argument so many times that it's not worth bothering with anymore.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, because I like to hear myself type:

It's not about theft PROOFING your bike, it's about making it less easy to steal than the one parked next to yours.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Right, in theory at least. I´m still not sure how this should work without either having some slack or rolling the bike back and forth by inches to find the lock hole.
That's exactly right, it says on their website. The pin is spring loaded, so you set it in there, then roll the bike forward or back until the pin finds a vent hole in the rotor.

It looks like you have to remove the whole pin assembly and put that in your pocket.

Let us know what it looks like and how it works once you get it.

·
Registered
108 Posts

nothing will stop a determined thief. a chain can be cut, and a rain gutter? those things are so filmsy.. like everyone has been saying, the point of this isn't to prevent a thief from stealing your bike, it just makes it that much harder.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, because I like to hear myself type:

It's not about theft PROOFING your bike, it's about making it less easy to steal than the one parked next to yours.
Sure, but I don't see it being any harder than stealing one with or without a dumb disk lock. Either way, if the steering is locked, the thief would have to pick up the front wheel to put it in a van.

Making the bike immovable is the key.

...and just because I like to hear myself type.... "nothing will stop a crook from taking your bike if he wants YOUR bike".

I don't see a thief deciding to take a bike with a locked steering over one with a disk lock. Once he has the bike in his van or in his posession, he has all the time in the world to do what he likes with a disk lock; whether it be grinding it off, drilling out the keyhole, or who knows what. The point of the matter is that the bike is just as easily picked up with a disk lock as without one. period.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts