Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

so i took my bike to the dealership...

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  spuds 
#1 ·
i did monday night after work. to have the tranny problem(popping outa gear) fixed. i bought a 3yr warrenty with the bike. so i figure it should be fixed without a porblem. 2 days go bye and no call from the dealership.

so i call today. they say they took it out yesterday and today and could not duplicate the problem...whatever...so i say "im give you permission to beat the living hell out of it" because thats usally when it would pop outa gear on me.

when i dropped off the bike i forgot to mention that i upshift without using the clutch. i told them that today. and the service dude goes..."ohhhhhhh" you know...that really long oh. like he was telling me i was a idiot.

basically the point of this is. because i told them i upshift without using the clutch. are they gonna try and make me pay for all the work. as if its not under warrenty cause i do that? was i really stupid to tell them that i dont use the clutch?

G
#2 ·
Maybe you'll have an accomodating dealer, who knows? But if you took your car to the dealer and told them you were shifting without the clutch and now have trans trouble, would you expect them to pay?

It's a somewhat different situation, but it may be a tough sell nevertheless. When they do the post mortem on the trans they'll be able to tell a lot about what happened, whether it was a design, manufacturing or material problem (covered) or owner abuse (probably not covered).

I hope you get lucky!

:)

#5 ·
You can tell

If you've been upshifting clutchless and that's the reason you're popping out of gear, then the evidence will be clearly visible. The engagement dogs and corresponding notches will be chipped or beaten-out looking on the driving/driven sides. If you haven't been fully engaging the dogs, when they slip out of the notches (poppiong out of gear) they drag a bit of metal with them. On engagement, if you aren't silky smooth and RPM matched they tend to bang together which usually results in chipping.

If they can't duplicate the problem, then it's your technique that's probably at fault. If you don't change your technique you will continue to damage the transmission until it won't stay in gear. At that point the warranty will be worthless since the evidence of abuse is in the steel.

#9 ·
i shift without the clutch, mostly cause it seemed smoother to me than using the clutch. and someone told me that these tyoes of bikes were made to shift without the clutch...maybe i just a stupid newb... but it works. i do use the clutch occasionaly. but the way it sounds. i dont use it like i should.
and yes i know its there for a reason.

#10 ·
spuds said:
i shift without the clutch, mostly cause it seemed smoother to me than using the clutch. and someone told me that these tyoes of bikes were made to shift without the clutch...maybe i just a stupid newb... but it works. i do use the clutch occasionaly. but the way it sounds. i dont use it like i should.
and yes i know its there for a reason.
The only time you should do clutchless upshifting is when you are running through the gears @ full throttle. You should not be on the throttle at all when making the shift.

It really only makes sense to use clutchless upshifting on the track. Since time doesn't matter and you shouldn't be racing on the street, only harm can come from clutchless upshifting with the possibility of doing it improperly (whether on purpose or on accident) and damaging parts of the transmission, such as a shift fork.

If you can shift smoother without using the clutch, then I suggest refining your clutch technique.

Now your dealer knows you "abuse" your bike (whether your technique is proper or not, it doesn't matter to them). You'll be faulted for any associated mechanical problems and forced to pay.

My take on clutchless upshifting? Unless you're prepared to fix the potential damage you could cause (whether you have the mechanical skill or the funds to pay someone else to do it) with improper technique, don't do it.

#12 ·
thats how i started into the clutchless upshifting...full throttle, then i just started dong it all the time... it seems i am a stupid newb, who thought he knew what he was doing... i really hope i dont have to pay...cause i dont have tne money!!!

just on the side....it usally pops outs gear around 9k in 2nd gear@full throttle. is is still possible thats its poping out casue i dont/havet been using the clutch on upshift?

#15 ·
the only time people should use clutchless upshifting is when racing. otherwise, no!

I use when I drag race my SV and it works fine.

G
#17 ·
We just ran through this in another thread, but a lot of people shift without the clutch from time to time and the world hasn't ended yet -so if you're a "stupid newb" you've got plenty of company!

But it does have the potential to cause massive damage, and cumulative wear even if it's done right. Despite what your "someone" told you, the trans is not designed to shift without the clutch - if it were, it'd be in the owner's manual.

spuds said:
"....it usally pops outs gear around 9k in 2nd gear@full throttle. is is still possible thats its poping out casue i dont/havet been using the clutch on upshift?"
Possible. If it pops out of gear it's because the gear isn't engaging fully. Worn engagement dogs or a bent shift fork will do this. Some models are more prone to this than others, even when nothing is wrong, and some bikes are more likely to do it than others due to manufacturing variations.

:)

#19 ·
I've done it by accident once or twice (clutchless upshift) when I started riding, but not since, and don't plan on it as I plan on keeping my bike for quite a while. Like said before, no real reason to do it on the street, and if you want to do it at the track, there are devices that allow you do to this without damage (www.holeshot.com).

#20 ·
Kudos for being an honest man and telling the dealer what you did. If it were me I would take the bike back, shift using the clutch, and see if you still have the problem. If so, save up the money to fix the tranny and chalk it up to one of life's lessons learned the hard way.

And don't listen to anyone who tells you to take it to a different dealer and lie about what you did. It's never right to pass off your mistakes to other people. And it does bad things to your character development. If your extended warranty isn't factory then it could be dealer specific anyway. Just my two cents.

#21 ·
well i got her back today. they called and said they could not duplicate the problem...still! whatever. so i got charged 1/2hr diagoise time...36 bucks.
i am gonna ride using the clutch on upshift and see if it continues the problem. if it does then i will take it back. if it dont then i know the problem was me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.