Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for a couple hours( yes, I took a dammm break from working on my stuff). Thanks to a local buddy, Mike(Inmcas02) who just bought a Triumph Sprint...he offered up his Gen I sv650(naked) for me to ride. He also knows some good back roads to get up Extreme Cycles here in NJ.

He has it set up really well..the suspension is modded, and the engine was tuned well. My only dislike was the brakes.....full stock set up. I am used to always having bigger calipers, ss lines, and vesrah pads. We are gonna work that out though.

All in all, I have to say...I WANT ONE.

This was the first time I was able to spend a couple hours on one( a 650)..so i really got a good feel for it. I see why there is such is such a following for it. Of course, I would have preferred it to have the 30-40 extra HP's I am used to, but since it was so much lighter...20 more would have been nice. None the less, it still had plenty of power to have fun on...but not to much, since it was not my bike.

For me, the 650 vs 1000 handling issue is done. One bike does not handle better than the other...each bike, when set up well, will handle just fine....BUT, the SV 650 is so MUCH EASIER TO RIDE AND MAKE HANDLE WELL.

FLICKABILITY = PURE FUN.......riding for 1.5 hours, and not being tired at all....was a good thing.

Being a naked, it was fun and interesting to be going around a curve at 50-60 MPH, be hanging off a bit to the inside, and still have the wind trying to pull you off the bike. More to concentrate on..but again, still fun.

God only knows when I'll have time or money to get one...but I will get one sooner or later.No worries though...my Sv1K will always be in the stable as well.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Its funny how some people talk about wanting something bigger, faster, more hp...etc but some who have ridden other bikes a lot love the SV650. I can't think of anything I'd rather have because mine is just so much fun to ride.

It's an addiction!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi DougZ, How does your GSXR vs SV compare?
The last GSXR I rode(street fighter still not on road yet) was my track bike, with GMP(or was it Traxxion?) worked front forks and a Penske triple in the rear.....and it was a SS bike to start with...so no SV compares to that.

A lot of people have trouble riding different motor configurations..ie, V twin vs I4...but I never had that issue....you just have to know to ride them differently.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey Doug, that was a good ride today and I'm glad you enjoyed riding the SV. While I do love my new sprint the SV will always have a soft spot in my heart and I don't plan on getting rid of her anytime soon so looks like we need to upgrade the brakes soon for sure! The two bikes are completely different beasts but both awesome in their own right. The Sprint hadles suprisingly well for it's weight, is very comfortable and pulls like a nuclear freight train but the SV is so nimble and just has a very good all around character that I haven't felt in any other bike. I would have to say it is just about if not the most perfect do it all streetbike out there. We'll definitely have to hit some more roads here soon, hopefully the Farm tractors and such won't be out in full force next time!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was a good ride. Like I said when you were first getting the Triumph, welcome to the multiple bike club. Its like having a couple g/f's...but they know about each other and are OK with it. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts