Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And can't figure out how to mount them. ;D

4 bolts and 2 round pieces of aluminum...

I never was good at puzzles...

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you're not kidding,

There's 2 bolts on the front of the tank (behind the handlebars).
Remove those bolts.
Lift tank and put spacers under.
Insert new (longer) bolts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
4 bolts...

2 - To use if you want to keep bolt style mounts

2 - To use if you want to make quick release mounts

If you do....

1) Cut the heads off

2) Drill a hole in each the proper width for cotter pins

3) Chuck the bolt in a drill and hold it against a file to round the top

4) use the included bolt as a stop to put the hole at the right level

5) drop tank and install cotter pins.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
03-SV650RR said:
If you're not kidding,

There's 2 bolts on the front of the tank (behind the handlebars).
Remove those bolts.
Lift tank and put spacers under.
Insert new (longer) bolts.
I was serious. I was just hoping they mounted permanently to the frame - guess not. In any case i am going to cut them down by 1/4" since there is already 1/4" of clearance from the factory and adding another 1/2" to that will look silly.

Thanks for all the replie's...

And yes i did build the motor in my Busa (1397) with a friends help so i am mechanically inclined... ;D

·
Registered
93 Posts
ronlarimer said:
Andy would have to tell you how tall mine are (3/8 I think) and it looks like this... I think it looks fine and the reason for them is more air.
They are 16mm which is about 5/8"

There's no way to attach them to the frame as such. You could put a dab of silicon on them to lightly glue them to the frame. To be honest, it's on really an issue if you use QR's. Otherwise the hole deal is bolted down by the tank and they are not going anywhere. Maybe one time in 3, one of them will lift up with the tank instead of staying down on the bolt.

Andy

·
Registered
498 Posts
CoNViCT said:
Ok just wondering I saw some on ebay and wasnt sure what they really did, the ad said they increased airflow or hp, I cant remeber exactly. Ty
I am not saying it doesn't. I am saying it doesn't make a noticable difference. I can't feel 1-2 hp

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have been paying attention to the guys on the 1000 board and the power mods they have been making, and their dyno sheets....and the general concensus is that the tank spacers don't make a bit of difference. Seems to be that modding the airbox has more of an impact on power. FWIW.

·
Registered
498 Posts
DougZ said:
I have been paying attention to the guys on the 1000 board and the power mods they have been making, and their dyno sheets....and the general concensus is that the tank spacers don't make a bit of difference. Seems to be that modding the airbox has more of an impact on power. FWIW.
I question the dyno results of a mod that increases airflow with motion, but as I said I can't feel 1-2 hp anyway.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
ronlarimer said:
I question the dyno results of a mod that increases airflow with motion, but as I said I can't feel 1-2 hp anyway.
True, no motion on the dyno....but raising of the tank that little doesn't create a "ram air" situation either.

G

·
DougZ said:
True, no motion on the dyno....but raising of the tank that little doesn't create a "ram air" situation either.
It's not going to help unless you modify the airbox to accept more air. The snorkel is restrictive. Even if you pull out the snorkel, the opening is at the front; I assume there is no restriction there.

For me it made sense - opened the top of the airbox directly under the tank. It made a difference.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
toddpnewton said:
It's not going to help unless you modify the airbox to accept more air. The snorkel is restrictive. Even if you pull out the snorkel, the opening is at the front; I assume there is no restriction there.

For me it made sense - opened the top of the airbox directly under the tank. It made a difference.
I desnorked and drilled the whole top of the box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.