Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first summer with my bike and on the east coast it was almost 100 degrees yesterday and today. Do you guys wear just a t shirt when its too hot out for cruising around town? I always wear my gear but just wanted to see how many of you guys take it off once in awhile.

·
Registered
916 Posts
^ +2 to the above. If you have a jacket with vents, what works pretty well is to soak your tee shirt with water. You won't get any bonus points for appearance at your destination, but it will keep you cool.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
PERF'ED LEATHER....

...cheaper than SKIN!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got rear ended on Wednesday in my pickup so I haven't been able to ride. In the past, I've used my mesh jacket and so long as I'm moving, it's not too bad. Stopped at a light sucks though. I don't mind sweating as it's a lot less painful than skin grafts.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
From the title I was hoping this would be a photo thread.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There are also cooling vests that you wear under your jacket. Soak in water, wring out excess, enjoy. Can last for a couple of hours.

BTW, it's been over 100 degrees here for 32-33 days. The last week or so has been 110 or higher. Even so, ATGATT.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am guilty of going almost full squid when it gets really hot out. I always wear my helmet though. That is only in town though, if I leave to ride the back roads and twisties I always gear up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ride in t-shirt maybe 2-3 times a year when it's really hot. It's a calculated risk at low speed and it's only in-town, it's really not that worst than all the cyclists in spandex on the streets if you think about it.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
vented gear works good, and a little sweat helps prevent dehydration. drink lots of water and sweat lots, = good for the skin, no gear = bad for the skin. even if you don't crash, that sun will rip the hide right off 'ya.

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I was young (30 years ago), gear consisted of helmet, boots and gloves. The rest was weather-based rather than safety- or protection-based. I understand how nice it feels riding on a bike on a warm or hot day in a t-shirt, but I also learned how it felt to fall off. But that is only part of the story. Just as there is a wind chill factor, there is a wind heat factor. Once you get above 95-99F, you start needing protection from the wind as well as the heat. Arguably, less venting is better at that point, especially if you are in constant motion. The mesh is still effective in stop-and-go riding.

Most of the good practices have already been mentioned: Hydration is the key. Mesh for low speeds, less venting for constant/prolonged movement, cooling vests or collars, clothing soak. Depending on your tolerance or professional requirements, it may be better to take the car, or public transportation, or a change of clothes if you have a place where you can wash up and change.

If you have storage space, a spare cooling collar soaking in a ziplock is wonderful. Ideally you can leave it in the fridge at work, and be cool both ways on the commute. Or the spare will double your comfort range on road trips.

For the camelback users, most gas stations have free ice at the soda fountain to keep the water cool/cold when you stop for fuel.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Okay, I'll be the black sheep (or in my case, black duck) here and admit that I don't always ride with full gear when it's super hot. But only when it's a quick trip for an errand or a quick bite to eat (and that doesn't involve freeway).

Should I be called a black squid? =]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I flip my shield up and open my vents on my jacket. Perhaps go a little quicker in the long stretches. Not the most fun, but ATGATT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea i just wanted to see what you guys do. Yesterday it was almost 100 in RI..i went out with boots,pants,jacket,gloves, helmet and came back with my shirt drenched in sweat lol.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts