Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a speeding ticket. Damn.

101 Southbound, north of the Golden Gate bridge, minding my own business in the fast lane, going about 75. Traffic was doing 65ish in the slow lanes, 70ish in the faster lanes, and I was just moving on through. CHP on a Beamer roars up next to me, and bingo, I'm pulled over.

The cop was totally to the point. "You were speeding. I'm writing you a ticket. License, registration, and insurance." No discussion, no talking, no "How fast were you going back there?", just "You're getting a ticket". Gah.

Anyway, being a brand new bike, I dont have my permanent registration or my new insurance docs yet (in the mail, I believe), so he wrote me up for that, in addition to going over every inch of my bike looking for things amiss. Took about 10 minutes checking every last thing on it. Gah.

Anyway, I'll show them my proof of insurance (I'm covered either by my new policy or by the liability grace period from my last bike's policy, 30 days IIRC), pay the fine, and take traffic school. I'll probably go to court for it, just to try to get the fine reduced... work has already said they'd give me the time off. Like I said, first time in 5 years, but what a way to ruin a day, eh?

·
Registered
476 Posts
that stuff really gets me down too.

i got pulled over for the first time in my life about a week ago. no ticket, no warning, and i wasn't doing anything wrong. cop just ran my plates and they came up as a partial hit on a stolen vehicle. and i didn't have my registration with me. i've been having nightmares of getting pulled over ever since.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its always crappy. I just dont see why the cop was being a total... I dunno. He wasnt being mean about it at all, he certainly wasnt being disrespectul (neither was I, I'm always very polite and try to be as helpful as possible to cops), he was just... totally impersonal.

·
Registered
449 Posts
oh, I'll take the impersonal anyday. Its the lecture where I start getting upset. Dont F'ing lecture me cop. Thats not what I pay you for.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think he was a bike hater. He was on a BMW R1150RTP. Heh. Bike cop.

I dont like lectures either. What I like is a bit of discussion, wherein myself and the officer discuss the finer points of why he pulled me over. :p

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
eisenfaust said:
I dont think he was a bike hater. He was on a BMW R1150RTP. Heh. Bike cop.

I dont like lectures either. What I like is a bit of discussion, wherein myself and the officer discuss the finer points of why he pulled me over. :p
Oops, my mistake.

Maybe he was jealous of your bike?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who knows. I think bike cops are kind of the black sheep of motorcyclists. I mean, they wont wave, wont nod, wont talk to anyone, and they ride all day every day. Seems kinda wierd to me. Every single one I've met just... hasnt been a cool person.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Bummer man, but oh well. We all speed a little like that. I think he would have been more than a little cool to let you go with the flow of traffic and not be such a damn nitpicker. But that can you do?

BTW, I have bike cops wave to me now and then, and a few have even pulled up next to me at a light and give me the thumbs up after looking over my bike. Pretty cool actually. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thats the way cops always are usually...there is no discussion ever...just tell you why they pulled you over and check your licence. Unless they plan on being extra nice, then sometimes they talk. I got 3 speeding tickets last year pulled over another 4 or 5 times. But nothing this year <shrug> thank god.
The true haters stop to lecture you on how you give bike riders a bad rep. Female cop and your f*cked no matter what.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Spirit of Bunny said:
oh, I'll take the impersonal anyday. Its the lecture where I start getting upset. Dont F'ing lecture me cop. Thats not what I pay you for.
I'll take the lecture over a ticket any day. I would rather not both though ;)

One day, when I lived in NJ, I was pulling up to a red light and it turned green when I was 100ft. from it so I got the gas pretty good. I don't think I even got up to the speed limit before police lights came on and I was pulled over. He was in the parking lot the light was for. He just checked to make sure I had a license and told me to be careful. Apparently a kid my age was just killed a week before at the next light down. He was cool. I don't think I was doing anything he could have ticketed me for anyway, but I do think I approach intersections a little safer now, so it was probably good for me at the time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sorry about your ticket but I'm still stuck on the fact that he was driving a Beamer ::)  Know wonder he was a jerk, they have to pay for their cars.   :D

Grav.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Around here (the deep south), the cops NEVER act like that. I guess it's the whole "southern hospitality" thing that they try to chit-chat with you. It really irks me when they start out with that "Do you know how fast you were going?" or "Are you in a hurry?" or "Nice weather we're having, huh?" crap...it makes you feel like they're giving you some kind of test, and that if you're nice enough and pass the test, you dont get a ticket. I have been able to talk my way out of one or two tickets that way, but it's very annoying. Cops, if you're not going to give me a ticket anyway, or if there's any chance you're gonna let me talk you out of it, dont pull me over! If you're gonna give me a ticket anyway, just write it...I dont like you, I dont want to talk to you, just give me the friggin ticket so I can be on my merry way.

I wasnt there, so I didnt here his tone of voice or anything, but sounds like he was very quick, professional, and to the point. I'd much prefer that to the chatty cop, if he's going to ticket me anyway.

J

·
0 Posts
I've heard that the reason they pull you over and don't ticket you is just checking for stuff:
i.e: stolen bikes, warrants, etc...

I'd much rather they be blunt to the point. I got a U-turn ticket in my cage last month, and he chatted and stuff, and then ticketed me.. wasted my time. And I thought he was just going to give me a warning... Yeah... not cool.. much rather just get it done.

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Zip lock bags. Put your registration and insurance documents in a zip lock bag and keep it under your seat. There are places where getting stopped without registration will get the bike towed and leave you on foot until you can prove it's yours. There are places where not having proof of insurance is (in one case that I know of) an automatic $500 fine.

There's no excuse for not having your documentation with you, especially considering the possible consequences.

·
Registered
476 Posts
andyauger said:
Zip lock bags.  Put your registration and insurance documents in a zip lock bag and keep it under your seat.  There are places where getting stopped without registration will get the bike towed and leave you on foot until you can prove it's yours.  There are places where not having proof of insurance is (in one case that I know of) an automatic $500 fine.

There's no excuse for not having your documentation with you, especially considering the possible consequences.
actually, the excuse i gave the cop worked well (and it was the truth):

i always keep my documents in a ziplock bag in my tail, but two days before i was pulled over i had my entire tail section in pieces to install a new shock.  i put my registration/insurance papers in my tank bag for safekeeping.  when i re-assembled my bike i forgot to take the docs out of my tank bag and put them back in the tail. 

when it rains it pours; you know how that goes. 

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, the zip lock bag thing is going to be done as soon as I actually get all the documentation for my new insurance and registration stuff. The lack-of-prrof for my docs will be a relatively small fine, but, lesson learned. Heh.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i always contest every such moronic traffic violation in court. if they're gonna fine me $72 for not putting my foot down at a stop sign and coasting through at 3 mph, then they're going to have to:
a. at minimum, what a few months for the court date before they steal my money
b. consume a judge's time and an officer's time listening to me explain why the fine is stupid

·
Registered
397 Posts
ouch...that sux major ass man...usually cops dont even bother chasing down bikes especially on the highway...cuz by the time they pull into traffic the bike is long gone...most cops just say "screw it, he'll get him self killed eventually" lol get ur ass to court and slash off a lot of that junk....gl man!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts