Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the Deutz diesels from an aerial lift in the rental fleet.

According to the operator, "it made some noise and then quit".

:p

Gotta love those Germans though....check out the thickness of the block material. But alas, even 1/2" + thick block material is no match for a looooong connecting rod that's determined to exit after hammering itself apart from a lack of oil.

Yep, the low oil-pressure shutdown system had been bypassed. Current user says they didn't do it, and we can't prove they did. On the other hand, I don't think expecting fail-safes to be fail-safe themselves is good practice either.

I like how the oil dipstick is right below the big ol' hole in the block.

If you listen closely you can almost hear the dipstick saying, "Here I am, here I am....."

:confused4:

So whaddya think? One coat or two?

;D

·
Vendor
966 Posts
German's using a thick block? Or does design require it, being a diesel which have HUGE compression forces, cylinder pressures, etc?

So, where'd the rod end up?

Wish I could post a pic from work of the last one I saw. Hole in the case was about 8" X 8". Engine threw a rod and balance weight through the case, into the room the dyno was in. Oil EVERYWHERE.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
That is pretty amazing. I'm not an engine guy so I've never seen something like that before.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Had something similar to that happen to a rece engine once. A 350 bored out to a 358. Not sure exactly what happened, but it went ka-blooey at about 7,500 rpm. Got it home pulled the engine and put it on a stand.

I turned the block upside down to pull the oil pan off and it sounded like someone dropped a roll worth of dimes in there. Removed the pan and I can't even begin to describe the carnage. Looked like a hand grenade went off in the pan. There was a huge chunk taken out of one of the cylinder walls, the water jacket was broken, two rods were bent, one was shattered, and another rod knocked out one of the freeze plugs, taking a decent hunk of the block with it. It was pretty impressive actually.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
With today's cars/bikes being so smooth, it's easy to forget the forces involved with internal combustion.

I had a roommate in college whose mechanical knowledge/interest extended no further than most middle-school girls.

Once I was explaining to him how the wheels on his Jeep turned to make it go. At the end of my horribly simplified 5 minute explanation, he stopped me and said:

"Wait, you mean to tell me there's explosions going off under my hood?

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Stuff a bacon log in there, you'll be fine.

Now it's a real SVR thread.

(It's only two pages so far, if it goes to three, someone's gonna need to derail it to keep it a legit thread.)

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Stuff a bacon log in there, you'll be fine.

Now it's a real SVR thread.

(It's only two pages so far, if it goes to three, someone's gonna need to derail it to keep it a legit thread.)
^_^
rofl

:bacon:

:nana:

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Dude, your roommates girlfriend is only 24!
Yeah I know. Robbing the cradel right? Can't say I blame him though, she is rather easy on the eyes. That's kinda like me and that 22 year old I was seeing a while back. At least B-rads girl has her **** together. 22 year old was a mess, but oh so hot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts