Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get your opinion guys...

G

·
advantages

cheap
not alot of power (so you dont do back flips when you accidently let out the clutch)
small (for easier control when cornering)

disadvantages

cheap
not alot of power
small

you can see where this is going...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Yes. At worst, it's too big a bike; but not too little to start on. There's not a "too little." That's the short of it. The SV might be a bike you could start on (for some it is). You're better off trying out the GS.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I can stunt a gs500 like no other stunta' fo' real. Yes, good starter bike. Ninja 250 aint bad either.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
gs500 would be a fun bike to play around on and learn on for a couple years... once you are confident in your abilities, move on to a bigger bike or stay with the gs, whateva :)

G

·
I think it's a good bike to start with. Last year, I ride the GS500 at the 'school' were I learned to ride and finally get my driving license.

But as soon as I got the driving license, I bought the SV650 which is a great bike. Much more interesting than the GS500. The SV can be a goot starter bike if you take it easy. You can easilly get in trouble if you go past your limit.

Anyway, you can go with the GS500 for a year or two and learn a lot of thing with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
it is a great bike. you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
that was my first bike...it was a great starter bike.. 8)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Good choice.

I have a good friend that rides a GSX-R 750 who really wants a smaller bike so he can learn the right techniques to go faster the correct way. The GSX-R is NOT his first bike. His was a Honda Nighthawk 750 which he rode for about 3 years IIRC.

Remember this - a slower bike will allow (make) you to focus on technique a lot more - which is what EVERY rider needs. A lot of technique.

G

·
If you are planning to go for something better... no way...

I believe that SV is better than the GS for learning.... more fun and you will be able to go out of town more confortable. Your cravings for something bigger will take longer to pop up.

My HMO...

PS: I got the SV three months ago and after two I was kicking myself for shooting so low, Now I am so glad I went for this one, Is quite forgiving with my f*** ups and, positive, I have not even used 30% of it's potential on twisty roads..

·
Registered
453 Posts
GS is a great bike, I rode one for the past 3 years to learn on and it taught me very well, I can now outride anyone in town on my SV. Id go for it, after riding both I think the SV is just too much to start with, too much torque anytime of the day you twist the wrist.

·
Registered
135 Posts
From the amount of people I've spoken to (and I agree with as well), is that the GS500 is a great bike to start out on.

Relatively small and light, but enough power for the beginner in the real world. But still plenty forgiving.

G

·
Twitch said:
Just wanted to get your opinion guys...
There's a comparison between the GS500 and Ninja 500 somewhere in webland, try a google search. Anyway, the Ninja 500 gets higher marks than the GS, but the GS looks much nicer, no comparison. If you're looking at the GS500, you should check out the Ninja.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts