Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried putting the air snorkel from the SV 1000 onto the SV 650?

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's crazy talk, mixing parts from different bikes. What's next, putting a throttle tube from an R6 on an sv?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Jeez the next thing we know people will start putting Gsxr wheels on their sv's... What a strange world we live in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha ok man, well i tried it and it is on the bike now...but am finding that the performance is a bit weird. It winds up faster than stock, but if it winds up too fast it'll feel bloated at around 4k rpm...but then at approx 5.5k it'll take off like a scalded cat (or is it just louder?). I think if i plug one of the holes in the bigger snorkel it'll be just about right. Im still not quite sure if there is a worthwhile improvement though, it may be psychological.

Ive also tried the PAIR disabling and gas tank lift, independently by themselves...and they DO indeed work.

Next thing i want to try is removing the ridges from the top of the inside of the airbox, looks like it disrupts airflow. Since i have a spare airbox now, im going to experiment with riser rings.

Im gonna get a jigsaw from Lowes and return it when im done...yeah im ghetto.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There have been a bunch of people that have put the 1000 snorkel on their 650 for extra airflow. I totally removed my snorkel and put 1/4" spacers under the front of the tank - it runs fine but is alot louder from under the tank.
Why put the bigger snorkel on if you are just going to limit it back down to stock or smaller?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There have been a bunch of people that have put the 1000 snorkel on their 650 for extra airflow. I totally removed my snorkel and put 1/4" spacers under the front of the tank - it runs fine but is alot louder from under the tank.
Why put the bigger snorkel on if you are just going to limit it back down to stock or smaller?
im making the riser rings next since i had to purchase the whole airbox to get the snorkle, like i said in my previous post.

Im not totally convinced that the SV1000 snorkle works, so it may come out. But im going to try plugging one of the 3 holes up first, the SV 1000 snorkle is about 3 times larger than the SV 650.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you are just going to plug the 1000 snorkel, take it out and put the 650 back in. There is a lot of people on here with a 1000 snorkel in their 650, including myself, and I haven't heard any complaints.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are just going to plug the 1000 snorkel, take it out and put the 650 back in. There is a lot of people on here with a 1000 snorkel in their 650, including myself, and I haven't heard any complaints.
The power isn't linear and appears to dip around 3.5k-5k (right where you need it) i always test any modifications alone by themselves to see if there are any gains, if not then i pull it, im not the kind of person that lies to myself or tries to talk myself into thinking something works because i spent money on it.

I think an opening bigger than the 650 snorkel but smaller then the 1000 snorkel may work out better and give better in town ridability than the 1000 snorkel.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The power isn't linear and appears to dip around 3.5k-5k (right where you need it) i always test any modifications alone by themselves to see if there are any gains, if not then i pull it, im not the kind of person that lies to myself or tries to talk myself into thinking something works because i spent money on it.

I think an opening bigger than the 650 snorkel but smaller then the 1000 snorkel may work out better and give better in town ridability than the 1000 snorkel.
Serious question since you talk about that particular rev range: Have you done a TPS adjustment yet?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just pull it out and stick on a shelf like everyone else does and enjoy the extra noise you get ...
yup..

If it looks like a limp d***, it doesn't belong on your motor.

EDIT: Since it was brought up above, I had adjusted my TPS to good effect after de-snork'ing my airbox. But... some insight on removal. It doesn't change what's already happening in the motor..

(This isn't a small picture, I don't feel like resizing them. Just showing one thing.. Don't "fix" my linking.. It'll make narrower screened users sad.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/MidnightFoxy/9Tail/9tail-dyno-2.jpg Lets talk dips and humps.. SV's have them. Tuning and an R6 TT helped a lot with the sensation of this dip, but also so did a few miles on the motor (27k there). Alteration of the secondaries' opening point, ramp rate to open seemed to alter the feeling of this dip, but yeah... there's a bonafide dip in power after 4700rpms until about 5500..

Go find any dyno chart for an SV650 K3+.. there's a dip around that area in nearly all of them.

(Won't lie, it is pretty f*cking loud after a while.. even to other motorists, its loud.)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I removed the snorkel then put it back in because I sensed a drop in power and didn't like the oil vapor fumes. That and the noise became annoying - the stock snorkel gives enough of an intake noise for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"I'm ghetto" is a joke, but the action described is basically immoral. Why not get out in the world and make friends? Then you can loan each other tools.
feel tough now?

as a matter of fact i need to use a grinder too, im going to buy both and return both of them...and pay in cash so they cant track me...my tires are low, i think i'll buy one just to fill my tires once then return that as well....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Serious question since you talk about that particular rev range: Have you done a TPS adjustment yet?
TPS is fine, bike runs smooth from idle.

but i will try to readjust it since the new snorkel is there and see what the effects are, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just removed the top of the airbox and just screw the filter on..then lifters in the tank and PCIII+stv remove and voila!!!
More power everywhere!!!
Pair still on cause I like popping.. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts