Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I have a 04 Sv650 that has no engine mods. I did the snorkelectomy this evening and like the way it sounds. I may order the 1000 snorkel I just have not decided yet. So I think now I am going to do the mufflerectomy. My question is this...Can these mods separately or together have any kind of negative effect on the health of the bike (ie. cause it to run to lean)? I am not that expereinced with cycle mechanics and would miss any early warning signs if something was start to go wrong. I am trying to learn more about working on my bike by doing as many mods to it as possible but don't want to risk messing it up. Has anyone had any problems??? Thanks for helping the newbie!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have had no snorkel and the muffler job for about ~1000 miles now, it looks and sounds great. Oh ya, it gets me laid too ;D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NICE! How many holes did you drill? And you are just drilling them down inside the exhast right? Does your bike seem to run any hotter.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not too sure, I just bought a new, sharp 3/16 bit and went to town. I think I left maybe a quarter inch at most between the holes. For a little while it was around 100 degrees here, and it ran just fine, no hotter than it normally gets. It's not too much louder, just sounds a LOT better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why does everyone do the drill a bunch of holes thing? I got a 1 and 7/8 inch hole saw and stuck it in the opening and a couple seconds later had the restrictor cut out. Next step hammer it out. Then done and a nice clean finish to boot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So why did you have to "hammer it out" after you "cut it out". Also by using a hole saw don't you leave a big round peice of metal floating around in there??? Sorry if this is a dumb question maybe I am not visualizing this proparly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You still have to hammer out the restristor as it is welded down inside the muffler about 6 -8 inches down if I remember correctly. The part I am using the hole saw for getting through is the part that everyone sits and drills a dozen or two dozen holes in to get through. They then end up with a rough edge that is inside the muffler but visible if you look into the muffler. Maybe I am just anal and like everything to look neat. I also liked the fact that it took all of about 30 seconds to cut through rather than drilling a bunch of holes. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That seems to make sense. Ok. So have you had any problems from doing it??? How many miles have you ridden?

·
Registered
482 Posts
B.C. said:
That seems to make sense. Ok. So have you had any problems from doing it??? How many miles have you ridden?
I've done the restrictorectomy and put about 3K on it since. I haven't noticed any differences at all except for noise level. I thought about the snorkelectomypottamusthingymajigermous, but I'm not sure about having my bike whine just yet. Might spring for the 1K snorkel and pay the 8K for shipping from Oneida.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry guys, another noob here.

What's the difference between the 650 and the 1k snorkel? That's the piece on the air breather, right?

Also, for the muffler, what angle do you hammer at to get the baffle out, or what do you hammer out? Sounds kinda tricky to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried the drill and hammer job. I found that the pipe that I have has a seconf ring inside making it hard to drill. So I used a welder to cut out the inner pipe and weled wat was left to the side. (I have pics if you want) Is the 2001 SV different from the US version ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
theoldguy said:
I've done the restrictorectomy and put about 3K on it since. I haven't noticed any differences at all except for noise level. I thought about the snorkelectomypottamusthingymajigermous, but I'm not sure about having my bike whine just yet. Might spring for the 1K snorkel and pay the 8K for shipping from Oneida.
I'm up way too late, but I'll put my .02 fwiw. For the snorkelectomyectomoraortuoarumus... the choices you have are to take out the air intake (black plastic air snorkel) or to replace what you have with the sv1K air inlet tube. Other than that... it's all the same thing. For the instructions that everyone else has, take a 1/8 or less or more (depending on the amount of space between the muffler and restrictor) and drill an arseload of holes b/t the muffler and the restrictor (the outside can and the inside can). When that is done, take a straight head screwdriver or a chisel and pound a hammer against it and the flat parts that you did not drill to create a complete cut. Once that is done, take your pipe and slide it over the restrictor. Pound on it a few times *4 or 5 times at least, if you're afraid of hurting something * You won't hurt a thing... once you feel the pipe slide ( ha ha, jokes done) , take the pipe and restrictor out and you're done... good luck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks oldguy, now I get it. 28 - man you are old! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He might be old but I must be senile because I am still not sure enough to feel like I can do this correctly. Why would you NOT us a hole cutter instead of a bunch of drill holes??? Someone mentioned some pictures that might be good. I like visual aids. Sorry to beat this to death.

·
Registered
482 Posts
B.C. said:
...Why would you NOT us a hole cutter instead of a bunch of drill holes??? Someone mentioned some pictures that might be good. I like visual aids. Sorry to beat this to death.
You're not being senile. I didn't use the holesaw method so I can't speak as to the validity of that. I did the multi-hole method and really didn't mind the inside pipe looking the way it does. If I had thought about the holesaw method (or had one on hand), I would have tried that first. I tried to keep this mod as cheap as possible with the thought that if it failed, I'd be able to buy a slip-on to recover. I say try the holesaw method if you have the tools or the drive. The thread regarding restrictorecomy has some great pictures that helped while I was working though this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK so I used a dremel tool to cut down the out side tube of the restrictor (my hole saw was getting hung up on that). I then cut a nice round circle in the restrictor plate (1.75"). My question is this. The motor cycle already seems to sound alot better. Is that just my imagination? Isn't the restrictor attached inside as well? Anyway I am having some trouble dislodging the restrictor. Did all of you use the pipe method??? Is there any problem leaving it with just a cut in the outside plate??? If I dislodge the restrictor with something other than a pipe will it fall inside the muffler and be hard to remove. Thanks for Any suggestions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I went and bought a peice of pipe to drive the baffle in and also a 1 7/8 hole saw (i realized the baffle would not fit out of a hole that was only 1 3/4"). I slipped the pipe over and started pounding. The restrictor did not break free at first it just started to slowly push into the exhaust pipe. Then all of a sudden I sprang loose. I thought "great". Then I tried to remove it and found that it was firmly stuck. I have tried everything to get it loose. When I look inside the pipe with a flash light I can see two round holes and then the restrictor seems to be stuck up and in the one on the right. The bike sounds awsome and seems to run fine. Is it ok to just leave it there?

·
Registered
482 Posts
B.C. said:
... When I look inside the pipe with a flash light I can see two round holes and then the restrictor seems to be stuck up and in the one on the right. The bike sounds awsome and seems to run fine. Is it ok to just leave it there?
I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not sure if it'll do anything. It's actually not too bad to get it out, if you have patience. Take a pair of needle nose vice grips, and twist and pull that sucker out of there. I messed with it for about half an hour and it finally came out. You might want to try some spray lube to get that sucker out. Either way, I'd recommend spending the extra time to pull that thing out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The spray lube is a good Idea. Why would you say it is bad to run it with it stuck up there??? I don't doubt you are right I am just trying to understand. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ahhhhh the power of WD-40. I sprayed on the lube and in 5min had the ristrictor out!!! THe bike sounds awsome. I definately did some damage (ie bent metal) to the inside of the muffler. Does this really matter??? I can't say thanks enough. When you are a novice mechanic like me it helps so much to be able to get advice every step of the way. Thanks. See you on the road!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts