Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my 2017 bike, I didn't like the snatchy throttle. I've tried a lot of things to solve this problem. I'll tell you what worked and what didn't.

- Reducing throttle play
This actually helped. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the less play, the better. 4/5

-Adjusting chain slack
Helped a great deal. Even if my chain slack is within spec, but near the loose side, the bike will sometimes jerk although I'm being smooth when I apply the throttle. That's why I keep my chain slack withing spec but closer to the tight side (20mm). 4/5

-Bazzaz or similar fuel controller
I thought these devices would help but they really were not made to fix the snatchy throttle problem. These units are perfectly fine when used as intended. This was an expensive lesson to learn. 1/5

-G2 Ergo throttle tamer
This throttle tube really does help reduce the snatchiness. The downside is the amount of wrist rotation required to get to wide open throttle is still the same a stock. Throttle rotation is tamer in the first half of the rotation and then ramps up in the second half. But most of our time is spent in the first half. So although the tamer does smooth things out, the bike ends up feeling slower. If you're not trying to haul ass, that's fine, but after a while I got tired of it. 3/5 (I actually now have a G2 quick turn throttle. It's so easy to go fast now!)

-Healtech XTRE
I didn't necessarily buy this unit because of a snatchy throttle, but as with the Bazzaz, I thought it would add to the overall smoothness of the bike in gears 1, 2, & 3. It did, but not how I thought it would. After using this unit for several months, the only thing it does for our bikes is cut down on the engine breaking, but only slightly. If I'm on the throttle in gears 1-3 and let off suddenly, this unit does nothing. I'm still pulled forward abruptly as usual. However, once I've let off the throttle and I'm now just coasting, I coast a little longer than I would without this unit. That's about it. I don't notice any power or torque gains from my butt dyno. 2/5

-Bonus Tip
What has helped the most with a snatchy throttle is something I already had - my pinky finger. I keep it on the bar end all the time and my other four fingers on the throttle. This ensures that the throttle doesn't move over bumps, and is why I'll never switch to bar end mirrors. 5/5

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have some input on this

I live in a city where roundabouts and intense trafic are all over the place, so going slow through cars (yes we can filter here) and doing roundabouts (with sometimes 4 lanes) provides every rider of every bike here with some good slow speed throtle and clutch control, so let me tell you my 2 cents on what works for me:

- The SV responds well to proper clutch and throtle control. This is the key to controling an SV, If what doublezero sugested doesn't work. Try and do some exercises on an empty partking lot, a couple hours a week and you will get out of there with slow speed throtle control. by exercises I mean some figure 8, slalom, etc.... always without relying on the rpm assist working trough the clutch and the throtle.5/5

That control will work on any speed in any gear.

But then again before the SV650 I used to ride an XT660 (now thats a choppy school of 660cc on 1 cyl) ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts