Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was tightening a bolt for the stator cover on my 09 sv650 earlier today and it snapped. It was a shame. I'm sure it would be fine if I went without that one bolt, but it's just going to bother me. I'm wonder what size bolt that is so I can possibly pick one up from the hardware store if they have them by any chance. I believe it's 8mm, but what's its length? If not, I could probably order a pack of all the bolts for the stator cover online. I saw them on eBay, but all I've seen are ones that come with the cover and I don't want to spend money on stuff I don't need. The bolt that snapped is one of the bolts on the raised sections of the stator cover (so I think it's going to be longer than the rest?) Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Identify the bolt from this image, it is either #13 or #14. Order at the dealer or buy on-line. Price is $1.79. You will likely need to remove the stator cover to extract the broken bolt so might want to buy a new gasket too.

Be careful when removing the broken bolt. It is easy to go from bad to worse. Hopefully you can simply remove the stator cover, clamp vice-grips onto the broken stud and unscrew. If the bolt is broken off flush, leaving nothing to grab onto then you might need professional help. Worst thing you can do is try to drill it out, get off-center, or break a hardened "easy-out" extractor in the bolt. Then you would be truly screwed so to speak. :) Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, it's #14. I took the cover off and saw that there was a little bit of the bolt showing fortunately. After about 10 minutes of finessing with some pliers, I got it out without having to drill or anything. What website would I find this bolt at to purchase?

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! I felt lost at first just trying to find a replacement bolt. I truly appreciate the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts