Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my 2001 intruder800 back from the shop and noticed that the rectifier (im pretty sure thats what it was, at least) was smoking a little after i rode the bike home. smelled like burning resistors, too. how bad is that? i have no idea how the rectifier works, so i dont know the first thing about troubleshooting it.

(the shop is going to fix it for me, i just want to do my homework before i hand my bike back over to them.)

thanks,
od

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea what would cause it? i dont want to bring the bike in and have them just replace hte rectifier, if theres a bigger problem. no sense in treating the sympton and not the disease, so to speak.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
osirisdean said:
any idea what would cause it?
Yeah, a bad regulator/rectifier. Suzuki has (unfortunately) a terrible reputation for pathetically bad reg/recs. My old GS700E used to smoke through batteries because of overcharging. I've been through two stock Suzuki Reg/recs on my SV and am now running an aftermarket unit (Electrex) with a computer muffin fan zip-tied to it.

i dont want to bring the bike in and have them just replace hte rectifier, if theres a bigger problem. no sense in treating the sympton and not the disease, so to speak.
In all likelihood, having them change out the regulator/rectifier is exactly what they'll need to do. But do have them check out the charging system, regardless. If they're a responsible shop, they'll do this anyway rather than simply throwing a new part at a suspected problem.

HTH

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts