Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has any experience with the "smart" TRE plug-in on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMART-TRE-Hayab...ryZ10534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From what I understand, the TRE mod may affect neutral idle and fast idle when the bike is cold. (if that is totally false or really doesn't matter that much please lemme know). This little device preserves the neutral map somehow to alleviate this problem. It seems pricey so I wanted to see if it really has any benefit.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
PM Raceteach (sic) 

I think he is the one making and marketing them.
He is from the socalsvriders group and recently became a member here.

·
Registered
397 Posts
'SMART' TREs are a gimmick, they just use two bypasses and a switch so you can set the timing to stock while warming up, then switch it over to TRE mode for riding. I built my own normal TRE, and it works fine in freezing weather when warming up. Just go get a 10c resistor and do it yourself. You could even build a smart TRE, if you have any circuitry experience, for a few dollars.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bhmax said:
Notice the auction says "Does NOT fit Suzuki 650 models."  I'm also curious about the exact explanation of "smart" TREs and what they do differently.
Thanks a lot, didn't see that! I forgot that the factory connector plugs are different between the 650 and 1000.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TestaStretta said:
'SMART' TREs are a gimmick, they just use two bypasses and a switch so you can set the timing to stock while warming up, then switch it over to TRE mode for riding. I built my own normal TRE, and it works fine in freezing weather when warming up. Just go get a 10c resistor and do it yourself. You could even build a smart TRE, if you have any circuitry experience, for a few dollars.
I didn't know what effect the TRE really had on warm-up and that's exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Currently said:
PM Raceteach (sic) 

I think he is the one making and marketing them.
He is from the socalsvriders group and recently became a member here.
i got mine from him. cheap. he actually sent me a second free of charge when an empty envelope arrived courtesty of the USPS (and they want a damn raise in postage :mad:)

they're small too, and very easy to lose - yeah, i might be buying another one shortly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts