Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings :eek:ccasion14:

I'm pretty much new here, posted only one other time in the newb section saying hello. I have recently purchased an '04 SV650N - love it! I'm a big car nut (own two evo's), but this is my first bike.

Anyway, a friend of mine has a shop that makes, amongst many other things, racing radiators for the evo/suby/gtr....

I'm going to get in contact with him about making a new radiator for the SV. On a naked bike, the stock radiator sticks out like a sore thumb. The main purpose of this change would be aesthetics. Cooling will be as good if not better (thicker, maybe taller and a more efficient core).

I'm not here to make any money off of this, but has this been discussed before? Is there already an aftermarket solution available?

If I get one made and others seem to have interest, I can ask about him making a jig for production.

Note: I am unsure what the vendor rules are like here but let me get across that this isn't a plug of any sort nor will I make a dime off of any radiator sold. I am a big forum guy and respect the knowledge of the community.

Safe riding;D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I believe the 05 and up are smaller. Don't think you have much room to play with thickness or height since you have an engine right behind you and a front tire attacking it from the front.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I agree, the 04 stock radiator is really wide and ugly. I put a 1st gen on mine when I saw a new Delkevic on eBay for $149. Much narrower and better looking. Being only slightly wider than the frame, it's not so vulnerable as well.

I'll be curious what you come up with. Getting narrow leaves much less room for the fan. (I went with a pancake style motor fan)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm used to packing things pretty tight, so to me, there seems like enough room to go slightly inboard and outboard for a wider core and possibly make it a bit taller.

Just looked at the '05 radiator, it looks to be the exact same size.

Keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Here's a pic of an 04 radiator: (GoodKat's photo)

And here's a pic of an 05+ compared to a 1st gen: (can't remember whose picture this is)

If you look at the upper mounting tabs, (they are same width on each) you can see that the 03-04 is a bit wider.

Here's a before & after on mine:

(more pics and info in this thread)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pics I was looking at must not have actually been of a 2005.

Here's another idea as well.... Do a custom setup using dual side mount VTR1000 radiators.....

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I was actually going to suggest you try that. I could never do it since I crash too much. Loved how it looked like on my Superhawk and on the RC51 I never owned.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i never realized there was a difference in radiator sizes between the various model yrs. it explains why there's no oil cooler on the 1st gen, and it looks like for 03/04 they tried to keep the size equal by going wider instead of taller. does anybody know if the surface area is equal there? obviously the later years are smaller, but seems to work ok as i've never had a cooling problem with my 07, even here in the desert.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't tell you about total area between the two, but I measured mine at 17x6.5x~1 including end tanks.

I got the go ahead from my guy to make a radiator. Just need to get him a drawing. What kind of radiator cap are you guys using?

Looks like stock is 1.1... anyone going higher?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How did the custom radiator turn out? I am looking for a slightly narrower radiator for my 03 race bike because I am sick of replacing them after crashing. I have been using the ASI Performance radiators which work fine but they are just as vulnerable as the OEM version.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i never realized there was a difference in radiator sizes between the various model yrs. it explains why there's no oil cooler on the 1st gen, and it looks like for 03/04 they tried to keep the size equal by going wider instead of taller. does anybody know if the surface area is equal there? obviously the later years are smaller, but seems to work ok as i've never had a cooling problem with my 07, even here in the desert.
I believe the early 2nd gens have the same radiator as the 1000

·
Registered
132 Posts
Greetings :eek:ccasion14:

I'm pretty much new here, posted only one other time in the newb section saying hello. I have recently purchased an '04 SV650N - love it! I'm a big car nut (own two evo's), but this is my first bike.

Anyway, a friend of mine has a shop that makes, amongst many other things, racing radiators for the evo/suby/gtr....

I'm going to get in contact with him about making a new radiator for the SV. On a naked bike, the stock radiator sticks out like a sore thumb. The main purpose of this change would be aesthetics. Cooling will be as good if not better (thicker, maybe taller and a more efficient core).

I'm not here to make any money off of this, but has this been discussed before? Is there already an aftermarket solution available?

If I get one made and others seem to have interest, I can ask about him making a jig for production.

Note: I am unsure what the vendor rules are like here but let me get across that this isn't a plug of any sort nor will I make a dime off of any radiator sold. I am a big forum guy and respect the knowledge of the community.

Safe riding;D

I wouldn't suggest lowering the cooling capacity of the bike just for a look. You will find the bike will run hotter and you may damage the motor.

If you have a buddy making a radiator, they can do it out of raw aluminum and increase the cooling capacity, making the bike look cool and actually improving the function of the part you want to change.

Here's a race radiator from an AP Moto bike (formerly WC GPcycles)

Keep in mind that, even though the bike is naked, they hang the radiator out the sides to catch the breeze as well as to clear the top of the front cylinder head. It's a really efficient design, not worth changing unless you're building a 90hp motor, really. Even then I talked to Zoran at TWF and he said they never changed the radiators on their bikes.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Shane, that is PWR radiator. Andy now has different one he sells, should be better. I have one but not used it yet. PWR seem to have issues with fins splitting and leaking.
Ducati 748/916 radiator can be fitted also. Better than any inline 4 radiators but cap needs to be added. I would also look at some other ducati radiators since they have similar engine layout.
In most cases stock would work even with built motors but there are some hot parts of country where more cooling is beneficial.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anybody have experience with the PWR radiator? I have seen those listed on eBay for a good chunk of change. I am looking for something with more crash survivability as the stock ones bend up too easy. And no, not crashing is not an option!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts