Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

SM Type 1 + Traxxion Fork Guards + Raised forks = Contact

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  toyozuki 
#1 ·
'99 SV Naked:

I have the SM Type 1 bars that relocate my front blinkers to the lower triples and I raised my forks 10mm with no problems. Now that I have Traxxion's fork guards installed, they hit my SM blinker relocator brackets under full fork compression. I am thinking of flipping the brackets outward. Any solutions other than cutting down the guards or lowering the forks?

#4 ·
Even if you do, you still don't want to have the potential for a collision of hard parts... A perfect fork should be able to use all of the available travel when subjected to the most extreme force it'll take- and you never know when you're going to come across that one massive chuckhole or obstacle in the road that'll compress them harder than you ever thought would happen. More a precaution than anything else.

How tough are the bits that are colliding? I had a bit of a clash for a while with the GSXR750 forks but with an old M series GSXR mudguard, on big hits (going fast over speedbumps) the mudguard got clattered off the underside of the fairing. The mudguard was very flexible though, so it never worried me- just meant it had a series of dents in the top ::)

#5 ·
toyozuki said:
'99 SV Naked:

Now that I have Traxxion's fork guards installed, they hit my SM blinker relocator brackets under full fork compression.
They're like 4 inches tall or something like that?

#6 ·
the springs are a good idea but you still might hit if you ride hard (like northwind said).
Turning the brackets outward or flipping your headlight brackets up-side-down would work. Flipping the headlight brackets is common for us fellas that do the clip-on conversion.

#7 ·
The fork guards are about 4" tall and flexible plastic. The brackets are made of thin SS. From rider's view the blinker brackets look like this: _| |_ when they hit the guards. I checked to see if they hit by hopping on the bike like a pogo stick, and they barely meet - but yea, what if I hit a pot-hole :eek:

I think they'll be OK if I flip the brackets like this:|_ _| we'll see.

Thanks

#8 ·
donniej said:
the springs are a good idea but you still might hit if you ride hard (like northwind said).
Turning the brackets outward or flipping your headlight brackets up-side-down would work. Flipping the headlight brackets is common for us fellas that do the clip-on conversion.
Does flipping the headlight brackets upside down lower the headlight or rasie it and by how much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.