Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed dual lights http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=44430.15 and my bike started to crack slowly when pushed the starter button and after few attempt just died.I installed new battery same problem-switched to stock headlight same problem.I suspect the charging system is not working properly.After installing the new battery and stock headlight I took a 20 mile trip just to see if the battery got charged and it did not.When I stopped and tried to start again slow crank and started but barely.
Does rectifier has anything to do with this?Any ideas?The bike is 00 with 14k.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the reg/rec unit is shot, you'll drain the battery by running the bike instead of recharging it. Generally, the reg/rec units seem to last between 10 and 15 k miles.

You can find cheaper reg/rec units from late model GSXRs, since it seems that GSXRs don't often make it to 10 k miles :cool:

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Did the bike crank slowly immediately after the installation or after a couple of days riding? 20 minutes is not enough to charge a weak battery. Was the new battery charged before installation? Do you own a battery tender? If not, get one. It sounds like your battery was flat and you didn't charge the new one before installation. You could be having regulator/rectifier problems, a $25 battery tender will verify that by bringing the batteries up to full charge.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andyauger said:
Did the bike crank slowly immediately after the installation or after a couple of days riding? 20 minutes is not enough to charge a weak battery. Was the new battery charged before installation? Do you own a battery tender? If not, get one. It sounds like your battery was flat and you didn't charge the new one before installation. You could be having regulator/rectifier problems, a $25 battery tender will verify that by bringing the batteries up to full charge.
Yes I did charge it and I do have a charger however today it just died -simply nothing.When turn the ignition switch absolutely nothing.
I guess it could be many things but whatever it is it progressively deteriorated and stopped functioning all together.
I am thinking loose connection although already checked that also side stand switch which gets lot of rain and moisture .I am wandering if that switch can be bypassed all toghter.Anyway I rather exhaust all possibilities before taking to a dealer.Last time my dealer checked a minor problem end up costing me a $600.00 dollars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES!YES!YEs! ;D ;D ;D Found the problem and fixed it.It was a blown fuse on starter relay and a loose one on that same relay(there are two #30 fuses.)
Looks like my dual lights had nothing to do with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts