Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone that makes clutches for SV's or if an aftermarket one for a GSXR600 would fit? I know think Yoyodyne does and so does Sigma. I just rode an 05 ZX-10r the other day and that was my first experience with a slipper. After that ride, I would really like to have one. Everybike should have one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How would it save your ass
New rider and didnt rev match right. Rear tire slipped and out went the bike with me going over the bars. Resulted in nice little mess. Slipper clutch would have avoided this. Its ok now that I have learned what to do when the back end "locks up". Had to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've owned 2 R6's and one SV650 with a Yoyodyne slipper in it and they work fantastic and Fred Rentz (owner of Yoyodyne) is a very nice guy and very helpful for questions.

z

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed a yoyodyne this year. Install was very smooth. First race is in two weeks. Will let you know how it does.

Fitz

·
Registered
155 Posts
I installed a Yoyodyne in my racebike this winter. Just got it on our street for a testride/joyride :) yesterday. I measured stackheight and everything went together fine. I do seem to "feel" the shift more in the clutch lever though. This is my first time with a slipper. Could it be that or just the stiffer clutch springs? The clutch seems to be properly adjusted, not slipping or grabbing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ghetto subscribe...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help me understand what a slipper clutch actually does and how it is better than what I have.
Slipper clutches keep you from locking the rear wheel up when downshifting. I think there are two different styles of operation. They are better than what you have cuz they make you feel like rossi everytime you downshift. Plus you can tell everyone you've got a slipper

·
Registered
155 Posts
But from what I understand, everytime you want to feel like Rossi in your downshifts you will use up part of your clutch plates. Slipper clutches shouldn't be used in place of proper techniques. They should be used in the event of a mistake.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
But from what I understand, everytime you want to feel like Rossi in your downshifts you will use up part of your clutch plates. Slipper clutches shouldn't be used in place of proper techniques. They should be used in the event of a mistake.
I don't know about that. The local fast guys who have them, use them every single corner. I can tell from listening to their engines, some don't even blip at all and just bang down a couple gears and let the clutch do all the work.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Clutch plates are consumables on a race bike, just like chains, sprockets and brake pads. Use 'em up and replace them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes, you will use up your clutch plates. That is part of having a slipper on there. My impression was that a slipper would be similar to traction control. In the fact that it is a tool (or aid) and can help you if you make a mistake. Relying solely on the tool could end up causing you an issue.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It just makes everything easier. You can focus more on braking properly and doing the corner right as opposed to hitting your shifts, blipping, braking. Plus it keeps your entry speed up slightly higher cuz you won't be engine breaking.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if they were superstock legal in an sv, i'd run one. they're not, so i dont, and i still dont have any issues with downshifting or corner entry. i can manage it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes, you will use up your clutch plates. That is part of having a slipper on there. My impression was that a slipper would be similar to traction control. In the fact that it is a tool (or aid) and can help you if you make a mistake. Relying solely on the tool could end up causing you an issue.
funny I don't wear plates any faster with slipper, and I use it a lot.
it is not tool for helping if you make mistake. it is performance part that makes you use bike in different way. if you have it than you should use it, otherwise there is no point.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts