Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know that there have been manyyyyy threads about this but i would like a deffinite answer before do any damage. Ok well i have a yosh rs3 slip on and before i got that i took the snorkle off the airbox. Will it do any damage to the bike if i take the snorkle off while having a slip on? and do i need to get a powercommander for the bike or will it be fine with the stock settings?

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i have a slip on and have put the 1k snorkle on and i'm running fine as far as i can tell. didn't remap or anything.

i still have a k&n that i might put it - i'll have to remap then

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
all taking out the snorke really does is make the bike a bit louder, and lets a slightly larger amount of air in (letting it breathe better) and putting a slip-on or full system decreases the amount of resistance on the exhaust gases (letting it exhale better) letting it breathe and exhale better will only help your bike run smoother because it won't have to work as hard to get air in and out. although if you let to much air in or out to quickly you will need to tune your bike so it won't run lean, but running wih out a snorkle and having a slip on shouldn't make your bike run lean. i agree with stranger though if you put a k&n in it you will probally run lean and will need a power commander to correct this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the exact same setup...rs-3 and desnorkled with k&n....i had it awhile before getting a PCIII and custom mapped. It worked fine but i think in the long run wouldnt of worked out so well. After getting the PCIII and having it dyno tuned....it runs much better...stronger and correctly and I make 75.1 rw/hp

·
Registered
899 Posts
I agree with phelix! I did the same mod (slip on 1k snorkle and stock airfilter) and found that I ran lean. The PCIII can rich up the fuel mix and smooth out the power. You won't hurt your engine without the PC, but you won't get the most potential out of your mods! By the way, lots of SV threads claim that the stock air filter pulls more air and HP than the K&N!!!!

G

·
cyclerider105 said:
mods! By the way, lots of SV threads claim that the stock air filter pulls more air and HP than the K&N!!!!
I've always been dubious about 'high-flow' filters so I don't use them - some claim no problem, others say they let in too much dirt. Seems to me they try to emulate the old oil bath filters some cars used to have.

A clean paper filter pulls a butt-load of air - IMO, if you keep it blown out, replace often enough it will be fine. Bonus: you don't ever have to wonder if all those reports are true or not.

G

·
phelix said:
I have the exact same setup...rs-3 and desnorkled with k&n....i had it awhile before getting a PCIII and custom mapped. It worked fine but i think in the long run wouldnt of worked out so well. After getting the PCIII and having it dyno tuned....it runs much better...stronger and correctly and I make 75.1 rw/hp

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, to me the aftermarket filters will either lets in too much dirt or restrict the air flow. Both of these senarios could be true on the same filter depending on when it was last cleaned. Nothing wrong with the OEM air filter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts