Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for cheap but good sliders and bar ends.
Suggestions?

Seems like there's a bunch and a wide range of prices, and I'm on a budget, but don't want to waste $ on cheap stuff that don't work. A little education here might help as well. bar ends don't just protect, but also dampen vibration? (previous owner "tossed" bar ends on bike I bought)

I know Motosliders is a sponsor and read a thread where several suggested theirs. Thoughts on Shogun, Vortex, Street Bikes Unlimited, etc?

It's a 2006 SV650S - blue - and I'm a noob.
I tried searching for this topic and didn't come up with an answer, so if this is covered somewhere else, a link would be great!

Thanks,
Melanie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I took a gamble on this pair from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-SV-6...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1811a3f1&vxp=mtr

Unfortunately the screws did not match the bar end nuts/retainers I had. So I had to get creative. Still doesn't fit great. Can't really blame the seller, though. The PO had replaced the weights with bar end mirrors, so I'm not certain I've got the stock nuts/retainers. In any case, whatever you choose I'd recommend a kit that includes the nuts/retainers.

And no, they don't seem to dampen vibration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a pair of shogun frame sliders I got on ebay. They fit great and came with a couple of cool stickers. My bike has bar ends but I can't really tell that they do any kind of dampening but they would keep the frame from hitting if it was to fall over.

My old bike (an old ninja 500) had weighted bar ends that were supposed to decrease vibrations but they didn't make a difference that I could see.

Exactly what I bought

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motosliders are $69.95 and they are the single bolt.

@ superfan86 - the shoguns are two bolts @ $53.95. Seems like the single bolt might be worth the extra $16... but I really don't know.

@ UAV Online - $4.95 wow - that is a big savings. But it sounds like you got what you paid for and they may not really serve their purpose when you need them to.

You guys are leaning me back towards the motosliders ;-)

Thanks for the info on the bar ends.

Next question i guess is swing arm sliders... worth it?

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Swing arm sliders make it easier to use a rear stand, so I vote yes.

I'll also throw in another vote for Motosliders. Blair at SVRP has his picture in the dictionary under "customer service."

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You can get bar ends for about 9 bucks at a motor sports store near you probably, maybe even a dealer

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bar ends --
Local -- Pro-Tek bar ends are $15.95... Hot Bodies $29.95... Pingel $30.95.
Online -- Motorcycle superstore Vortex at $28.99, Cyclegear Speedmetal @ $11.99

Does kind matter at all? Just a matter of having versus not so go cheap?

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
If I'm not using a rear stand... is there any benefit to swing arm sliders?
How are you picking up the back of the bike for things like chain cleaning/lubing and adjustment?

I was using the car lift at work on my swingarm spools until I bought a rear stand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... being a nube I hadn't gotten that far in my thought process yet. Guess I'll be buying a rear stand and getting those swingarm sliders. ;-)
First... keep from trashing the bike (sliders)... then maintain it. Lol.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
If I'm not using a rear stand... is there any benefit to swing arm sliders?
First... keep from trashing the bike (sliders)
no, if you were after swing arm protection, swing arm sliders wont protect anything. they only stick out about the same as the axle nut.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How are you picking up the back of the bike for things like chain cleaning/lubing and adjustment?
before I could afford a stand and pucks, I used 8mm bolts and jack stands. It was easy for me, but others might find it difficult. You have to get the leverage and placement right...lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
For the money, Trex sliders are great. I've wrecked multiple sets and they've done their job perfectly. They are the single bolt variety

For stands...Again Trex is good for the money... and they are based out of DFW, so depending on your location you can pick them up and save shipping!

Swingarm spools don't protect anything. Just look at the way they attach even, any impact hard enough to damage the swingarm will either shear the bolt or break off the little welded nut. Just get the smallest cheapest 8mm METAL spools you can find, the plastic ones break too easily. (See above about multiple crashes). The Trex plastic spools are junk, haven't tried their metal ones though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!

T-Rex sliders - $39.95 - much better than Moto $69.95 if they offer same protection.
T-Rex has bar ends for $9.95 too.

I'm feeling a T-Rex order this week unless someone tells me why not... Just $12 to ship both.

So, what kind of stand do I want?
What the heck is a fork slider?

Oh, and bar ends... I got nothing to screw anything into. The ends of my handlebars are hollow and smooth... what's supposed to be there, and how do I get it there?

Thanks again,
Melanie

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Most bar ends have a collar that expands when you tighten them, allowing them to fit snugly into a hollow bar.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts