Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever experienced it? I have since my late teens and had a pretty frightening episode last night. A little info on the condition here. Basically, either while falling asleep or in my case while waking up you experience termporary paralysis. I've experienced it many times through the years, and let me tell ya, it's never not scary. Sometimes there are hallucinations associated with it, other times I can clearly hear what's going on around me, like I'm fully conscious but can't move or even open my eyes. Supposedly it's not really something to be alarmed about, but I had an episode last night when my wife called after her shift ended. I was asleep, the phone woke me up (although I don't think I was really wide awake), and I couldn't move. That got me thinking, what if the smoke detectors are going off, I wake up, and can't move? Sometimes it lasts for several minutes. I'm pretty freaked out about that possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Ever suffered from a potassium imbalance?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I've had this happen before. I've never been tested but wonder sometimes if I'm narcoleptic. I haven't had the full body paralysis very often but it's pretty bizarre when it does happen. Often when I first wake up I can't use my hands. It's not a numbness but they feel very weak like I have no control. Sometimes it'll happen with my face too where I can't really speak.

It might be worthwhile to see a doctor and do a sleep study.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I agree that a sleep study is likely needed. I suffer from excessive REM sleep. Although this is manifested as extremely disturbing nightmares instead of any sort of sleep paralysis.

I asked about potassium because an imbalance can occur over night and can result in partial or complete paralysis upon waking the next morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts