Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to do a short trip to test how the new trailer hauls. We decided to go to skyline drive for a day. (drive there and unload, ride, then load up and drive back). Does any one have any recommended places to aim for as an area to park?

We will be coming from the north. I have never been there so I don't know the area. Should we just park in front royal and hit the road 1 way then turn around and go back? Or if we can should we drive maybe 50 miles more south so we can hit BRP too?

To the locals or frequent visitors do you have any recommendations of just a central place to park or any particular roads we definitely need to hit would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I would go the 50 miles and drive BRP. Speed limit on SKLD is 30 and patrolled heavily.......BRP is 45 and patrolled but not as bad as SKLD. Take 81 down to 64 and then head east up to Afton Mtn.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Don't plan on too many miles/day. Scenic overlooks every 2 to 5 miles ( I'm guessing on those distances, it varies.) Point is, leave yourself time to pull off and enjoy the view as much as you want.
You can enjoy the views just as much whether you pull over with your trailer or your bike, but you'll enjoy the drive much more on your bike, so if I were you I'd try to plan as much of the BRP on the bike as possible.

·
Registered
717 Posts
On the weekends Skyline gets congested with minivans. Few places to pass, lots of people exiting/entering overlooks. Go early and also try 211 west starting in Sperryville, short but fun. Signs say it's a high motorcycle crash area so you know it is good. All are heavily patrolled.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IT will be the weekend and we probably will leave around 6am just like we do on dirt bike trips so probably getting in the area around 9-930.

Ive been wanting to go to skyline for a long time but want the opportunity to ride some roads hard and not follow minivans forever...so yall think BRP will make for a better all around ride? Any scenic stuff on BRP?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Lots & lots of scenic stuff.
For fast riding, though, you'll want to get off it. Most roads intersecting it are downhill twisties. You could get off BRP occasionally for a quick downhill rip, then right back up onto it.
Maybe some of the folks here who live closer to it will have more specifics.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
SKLD and BRP are essentially the same road....just the speed limit and amount of LEO's on patrol.....and SKLD charges you $10 for the privilage of driving 30 mph behind said minivan!
What terry said is a good idea....look for the cross roads that are a mess of squiggly lines that go off of BRP......rip down them and back up for a quick trill!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts