Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what they generally have you do to pass the skills test in WV? I want to take the MSF course but don't know if I'll have the money to spare since I need to save to move soon. I've been riding a few years ( I just get my permit renewed frequently - I know, I know - no anger, please) and consider myself to be pretty competent. If the test isn't absurd then I will just go do the skills test when it gets a bit warmer. Any other states' requirements may be helpful as well. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Check on Youtube. Thats where I found the ones for VA.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much - guess that's what I'll do since there seems to be no other input.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its not too bad actually. The best thing to do is go to the DMV and ask about it. The one I went to handed me a paper with a diagram on the course and outlined what each test was. There was a test where you have to weave some cones. There is another part where you have to make a turn inside a box. Another part you have to accelerate to a certain point and do a panic stop. Then the next part was the same as the previous where you accelerate to a certain point and then make a panic swerve around a line. I think there were something like 7 parts total but the hardest of them was weaving the cones and stopping between 2 lines after making a 90 degree turn. If you put your foot down you are pretty much done for. Just go to the DMV and practice till you can pretty much do it one handed (thats what I did). Then take the test when you feel like you are ready. After a month on the SV it was a peice of cake to pass.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, pretty much everywhere includes the box...and that's the hard part for someone new to riding and some bikes make it especially hard to do. That 90 degree thing seems interesting. Jack seems to have it down...

·
Registered
140 Posts

you have to stay inside the lines and then stop with both your tires in between the two lines at the end. I didnt know that was on the test before i took it. Main thing is to always come to a complete stop before you put your foot down

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
i have played on the course that is local to me (in wv)and i know i couldnt pass it on my R1 to save my life. the course is so small so "they " can save room. a 650 would have a whole lot better chance passing it then a 1000. but to be honest, the msf class will be your best bet. you WILL learn something from it you didnt know before, and it will help you for many years to come. the money for the class is well worth it. also ck with your insurance they might give a discount if you pass the class.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, I imagine a bike with tricky lock to lock steering (SS bikes as a whole mostly) would make it tough. I did my MSF on a baby nighthawk. Standards are the way to go for the test...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yea, what Jack said is pretty much how it also goes in Wisconsin. I'd just practice a bit until you have them down. I'd still recommend taking the msf when you can

·
Registered
101 Posts
Took mine on a cbr f4i , had my learners the minimum amount of time and in that month a practiced my ass off. Went the first day I was allowed and passed with flying colors , it should be a breeze on an sv.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the thoughts. I really appreciate it. I'm only wondering about it because I haven't really practiced much of the stuff that is on it. I've done a few skid stops - some intentionally for no reason and some because they were necessary. It sounds like I just need to put a bit more time into really fluid slow-speed handling. I will look at finances and see if I can swing the MSF course soon. They are running out of spots for the last test they have listed so I have to decide quickly. It also seems likely I will be buying a ring of power for the other half soon and need to save for that too. I have concluded that I need a better paying job. (Don't we all...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts