Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking off my wheels right now, and I didn't have the "special" tool to take off the front tire. Do I have to run to the dealer to get the tool like the book said or can I get the tool from any store? If I can get it from any store, what size is the allen wrench?

N

·
0 Posts
Can't help you out with the size (1G rider), but if you can't get the tool or the correct Allen wrench (I'm betting you can't) you can make one from a hex bolt and two nuts. Buy a hex bolt the size of the Allen you need (or even just close; with larger fasteners you may fins an SAE bolt that fits), thread the nuts on and tighten the nuts against each other. You can turn the inside nut with an open end wrench to loosen the axle nut. This is also handy for making a really short Allen wrench for tight spots.

Not the answer you were asking for, but it may help if you can't find the tool you want tonight.

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
12mm. VERY hard to find. Bought mine off the Snap-On tool truck (any big tool truck sells them).

The 2 nuts trick will likely not work. I tried welding some nuts together, and the home made tool broke....several times.

Buy the tool.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bought one from craftsman and cut a piece off. Then I stuck it in a 12mm socket and used it in my torque wrench.

N

·
0 Posts
TRaGiK said:
"...The 2 nuts trick will likely not work. I tried welding some nuts together, and the home made tool broke....several times..."
YRMV of course. Costs little to try it and if it doesn't work you haven't lst much. Bearing in mind TRAGiK's caution, I'd spend an extra dime and get a 10.8 or grade 8 bolt! A 12mm hex isn't close enough to any SAE size so you can ignore that suggestion (nearest is 7/16" at 11.1 mm-not close enough).

I'd buy the tool too, but if you have to have it tonight you're about out of options.

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I live out in the country, so I can just run to town. It's 45 minutes to Terre Haute and Champaign. I need to have the wheels in to the shop by tomorrow at 2:30, so they can mount them. I am also taking a big, several thousand mile trip out west and we leave on July 25th. Anyways, thanks!

Y

·
0 Posts
jchea965 said:
Thanks for the replies. I live out in the country, so I can just run to town. It's 45 minutes to Terre Haute and Champaign. I need to have the wheels in to the shop by tomorrow at 2:30, so they can mount them. I am also taking a big, several thousand mile trip out west and we leave on July 25th. Anyways, thanks!
Let me know if you need one that bad... I can get one here, and ship it to you... PM if you want to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have an AutoZone nearby they should have an inexpensive set of 3 large metric 1/2" drive allen wrenches that includes the necessary 12mm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gerhard911 said:
If you have an AutoZone nearby they should have an inexpensive set of 3 large metric 1/2" drive allen wrenches that includes the necessary 12mm.
Thanks! I will try autozone tomorrow which isn't too far from home... 12 miles. If they don't have it I will try an American allen wrench and if that fails, I will have to run to the dealer.... :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought a 3.99 T60 torx bit and ground of the torx part of it to get my 12mm allen socket. 8)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I can't believe Suzuki didn't include the proper tool for removing the front wheel in the factory tool kit. Removing the front wheel for tire changes is certainly one of the more common things the average rider will need to do. Oh well... Auto Zone it is...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you should be able to get one at any better stocked NAPA store, or be able to order one, or chase down a tool truck... Snap-on/Mac/Cornwell

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found one

I found one at an auto parts store. I can't believe they had one in stock.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I tried welding a big nut onto the big bolt it was threaded onto so it would be like one continuous piece (like an alan key) but I guess the metal was just too dang thick for my Lincoln Electric MIG. Sucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts