Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my motorcycle as my only transportation rain or shine. Currently I have a Ninja 250. I'm 5'7" and looking for a bike with a low seat height. The sv650 seemed like a good fit.

Is this the best solution for me? I'm looking for MPG, a little more power, and reliability to ride a lot of miles.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Only you can answer your question. But I and everyone else on the site would recommend the SV650 for what your looking for. I suggest the SV may be the bike your looking for. Go for it !

Some may say the jump from your 250 to the SV is too fast. I wouldn't say so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you will be fine moving from 250 to 650 just remember the added torque and power and u will be fine and mpg i get about 40+ and thats with me riding it like i stole it

·
Registered
750 Posts
I consistently run 50+ MPG in town riding. It's a great bike for the $$.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
sorry to break this to you, but a motorcycle isn't a smart way to save money on gas. You might be better off with a geo metro.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I enjoy the fun and thrill as well. I'm just cheap, but refusing to not have a bike ;) I've been riding for 5 years and have 30k+ miles under my belt.

I don't mind paying a little more. I have no kids and no need for a child seat.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
ex500 is better than the sv650, gas mileage wise. All the current engine configurations are as reliable as the owner... so the better question is, are you reliable in maintenance?

I'd look for a Bandit 600 or an older EX500.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You will never get the gas mileage on the SV that you get on the ex250. The SV does not have a little more power than the ex250. It has a lot more. The SV is pretty reliable. Seat height is not really that low either. Sounds like you might want to check out an ex500 or gs500 which are excellent bikes. I would take the SV over both of them, but they are cheaper, less intimidating, cheaper to maintain, and might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Th sv650 is one of the most beautiful bikes I have seen. What is the oldest year that is still using all the most modern parts of the newest one?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Well, depends on how much you want to wrench. I'd say the 1st Gen (99-02), are more reliable and easier to work on since they have Carbs. Stay away from the '03s because they've got a higher subframe/seats and more unique parts associated with them. The earlier second gens ('03-06) have more aftermarket support. 07+ have better gas mileage and some have ABS.

The only major difference between the 1st gen and 2nd gen is the fuel injection. TBH I'd rather have Carbs. Easier to work on and tune if you're a DIYer.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I wouldn't say stay away from the 03's. I've owned two and finding parts was never a problem. How often do you bust side covers or wreck a seat anyhow?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I wouldn't say stay away from the 03's. I've owned two and finding parts was never a problem. How often do you bust side covers or wreck a seat anyhow?
I don't know if it's still the case but for a while, it was very easy to find stuff for the '03- all the aftermarket manufacturers had assumed there wouldn't be a change from 03 to 04 so there were some great deals on exhausts, etc. For that matter, even the OEm suzuki stuff is still cheap- Oneida has the OEm fender eliminator for 1/2 off for 03.

·
Registered
740 Posts
sorry to break this to you, but a motorcycle isn't a smart way to save money on gas. You might be better off with a geo metro.
How so? I get roughly 45mpg no matter how I ride. At those speeds/intensities, no even a diesel, a hybrid, or an old econobox will do any better. Cheap travel is half of the reason I bought the SV and I'm entirely happy with it in that regard.

The SV is quick enough to not feel anemic. It's considerably quicker than the 250, but nothing like a big V-twin sportbike. The jump from a 250 to an SV would be easy. The only time I really wish for more power is passing when I'm already going interstate speeds. It's not slow up there, but it does require a downshift or two to really make haste at those speeds.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get a second gen SV or SVS and never look back. My '05 always gets 50+ mpg and they are as reliable as a stone.
If I were in your shoes I might hold off a little while and see how the Gladius fits you. At 5'7" the lower seat might work better and I think it's a pretty cool looking bike. For the SVS you can put some grip heaters on, hand guards and a tall wind screen and you have exactly what you are looking for in a proven motorcycle, rain or shine. If you want to add hard bags or...you name it, there are great mods for the SV.
The EX500 and and 550e....come on, not even close and hardly any better on gas.
Get on Craigs List and you will find a bunch of nearly perfect SV's with low miles in no time.
I don't think they make a better budget bike than the SV. BTW the ninja 650 has better comfort, wind protection and lower seat. I still like the SV better because of perfomance, quality, and availability of everything you will ever need.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts