Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a KLR. I am looking to get an SV because of the reputation, and I need something more suitable for road miles.

Here is my problem; I don't know anybody with an Sv. The dealer here doesn't have any in stock, and you can't find a new one in a dealer anyway (I am talking about the naked model). I can't find any way to sit on one and see if it fits me.

I am getting rid of the KLR because it hurts my low back, for some reason. I used to have a Ninja 250, and that mild forward lean was pretty comfortable to me. So, how would those of you that have sat on both (a pre 2008 Ninja 250) and a naked SV 650 compare the seating position?

·
Registered
96 Posts
the naked has a very comfortable seating position. My butt gets sore from the stock seat before my back even gets close to feeling it. I have noticed that i can get almost straight up, to pretty leaned forward depending on where i sit in the seat. Very good position overall i think

·
Registered
70 Posts
the naked has a very comfortable seating position. My butt gets sore from the stock seat before my back even gets close to feeling it. I have noticed that i can get almost straight up, to pretty leaned forward depending on where i sit in the seat. Very good position overall i think
Totally agree. Also, there are lots of different bar options for the naked that can allow you to change how you sit on the bike and how it feels.

I'm 5' 11" and it fits me just fine.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am getting rid of the KLR because it hurts my low back, for some reason. I used to have a Ninja 250, and that mild forward lean was pretty comfortable to me. So, how would those of you that have sat on both (a pre 2008 Ninja 250) and a naked SV 650 compare the seating position?
Upright hurts my back too. I feel comfortable with SM1's, although SM2's might also be easy on my back and easier on the wrists. I also have rearset risers. I'm 5'10".

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I currently have a KLR. I am looking to get an SV because of the reputation, and I need something more suitable for road miles.

Here is my problem; I don't know anybody with an Sv. The dealer here doesn't have any in stock, and you can't find a new one in a dealer anyway (I am talking about the naked model). I can't find any way to sit on one and see if it fits me.

nekid SV footpegs are perfect imho, they set back slightly from my V-strom, so I get more weight supported by my legs and less on my spine

I think footpeg position is most important for back comfort than handlebar position

·
Registered
3 Posts
Think everyone hit the nail on the head. Aftermarket seat, always have options for bars, but overall, very comfy ergos.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I started on a 500R, basically the same seating position of the pre-'08 250's. After riding my SV, then going back to my 500R, then back to my SV, I notice a big difference seating/ego's-wise. The SV has you slightly forward, gripping the tank, and feeling very secure. The 500R has a higher front than rear so I kept trying to scoot forward and I found it a little too upright. You'll love the SV.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I found that after a few sore butt sessions your butt gets used to it. I almost replaced my seat after one particularly long ride right after I bought my bike but I didn't. Now it doesn't bother me at all. Still riding the stock seat after 5,400 miles.

To answer the OP's question, check craigslist.org and see if you can find a used one for sale near you that you can go check out. I think you'll find the naked to be quite comfortable.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Upright hurts my back too. I feel comfortable with SM1's, although SM2's might also be easy on my back and easier on the wrists. I also have rearset risers. I'm 5'10".
I'm 5'11" (barefoot) and I have the type 2 bar on mine. My wrists are bothering me after a couple hours (especially my right wrist). I'm going to give it a few hundred miles to see if I get used to it or if I have to change back to the stock bar. My back is fine though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i've been looking on the forum for a long while and I still have this one question. Is there any difference in footpeg location on the "N" vrs. the "S" version. 07-08 years in particular. thanks - JB

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...and you can always use a higher bend bar, 3/4-1" spacer kits to raise the bars in the risers..

the nekkid's mount lower and more forward than the curvy's, i think!! lol

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i've been looking on the forum for a long while and I still have this one question. Is there any difference in footpeg location on the "N" vrs. the "S" version. 07-08 years in particular. thanks - JB
My understanding is that the "S" version has slightly higher pegs. As an owner of a "N" the pegs are high enough. I also installed handlebar risers and did a seat mod..my bike is comfortable now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got just about 4K miles on my 2008 Nakid, and I absolutely hate the bars! I love the stock reatset location and the seat isn't all that bad, I have gotten used to it anyway. I think the bars are too high and it puts the wind right into my chest and I have a hard time getting down on the tank without it feeling awkward, and I am only 5' 10". Going to get clip on bars, just not sure whether or not I want the 1" rise or straight clip on set up. Would like some opinions if anyone will offer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and I've never really had a sore back. Sore butt comes first on the stock seat, followed by tight wrists. After a couple hours without a rest the calves get sore. I find the footpeg to seat height a little bit tight for me, but i can deal with it as long as I take breaks every once and a while like your supposed to anyways.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've got the S with Heli Bars. The problem I have isn't so much the location of the hand position as the angle of the hands -- too level. I either have to stick my elbows out like a super-crosser, or my wrists and hands get sore from outward rotation.

I'm in the process of gathering up the parts to do an N conversion (but keeping the fairings), with a drag bar turned down as far as I can. Pretty much the same hand location I have now, but with better wrist rotation that will allow my hands and arms to relax a lot more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Briderdt, let us know how that works out for you. I've rolled my stock bars forward and back and the most comfortable to me is rolled back toward the tank, just makes it tough to turn in a tight area! In any position it's uncomfortable on the wrists after 20 or 30 miles, makes my hands sleepy! I don't know what the answer is, but it sure isn't stock bars!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I've got SM2 bars on my naked and stock pegs. I've not scraped pegs while kneedragging, so clearance is no problem if you're concerned. I have a 34" inseam and I'm 5'9", so I'm all leg (thus I don't care for rearset risers).

I don't like the position of the stock bars. The SM2 bars basically puts the controls at the same position as the SVS clipons. SM1 bars are not as aggressive. The SM2s are very comfortable for me.

Changing the stock seat out, or modifying it can again affect how you sit related to the bars/pegs, so just remember to think about that.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Briderdt, let us know how that works out for you. I've rolled my stock bars forward and back and the most comfortable to me is rolled back toward the tank, just makes it tough to turn in a tight area! In any position it's uncomfortable on the wrists after 20 or 30 miles, makes my hands sleepy! I don't know what the answer is, but it sure isn't stock bars!
If you look straight ahead and hold your arms straight out loosely like you're on a bike, take a look at the angle of your hands/wrists and the relation of how high or low they are in comparison to your body. That should be the most comfortable position for your own ergos.

If you're not putting bodyweight on your hands/wrists, then you definitely need to change some sort of configuration.

Also, take a look at your lever position. The levers should be positioned so the angle of your wrists are straight from the arm, not bent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem isn't with the levers, I've ridden off-road and moto-x for many years, so the first thing I adjust is the levers/bars. The bars just plain suck, and I haven't decided what set up I want. I've seen some of the bars using the stock risers (don't know the name) but I don't like the look of them. Would like to know who uses what type of clip on bars and what the comfort level is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts