Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to find time at the moment, but this was part of my original cafe racer plan, I thought I had better bite the bullet and start swapping out my carbs for a single mechanical throttle body.
So hopefully by the end of the week it will be done. And depending on how well, or not it works will dictate the next step e.g. the tank etc.
What do you think a flat air filter under the tank hidden of a hole in the tank flush to help air flow or whole hog a ram tube thru the tank.
I may even dyno it when done just for kicks
IMG_20201114_160449.jpg IMG_20201114_160341.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
But why? From what I understand you're gonna get worse fueling, worse throttle response and probably a shit ton of other issues. Is there any advantage besides not needing to sync two carbs?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why? From what I understand you're gonna get worse fueling, worse throttle response and probably a shit ton of other issues. Is there any advantage besides not needing to sync two carbs?
We will see// On a Cafe Racer less is more

Maybe wishful thinking, but I am hoping for better mileage and better throttle response than the standard cv carbs and better mid range torque and if my manifold is good no loss of top end. These things rip. David Vizard famous engine tuner loved these things, look it up.
I have used these on cars for years and am always amazed. First time on a bike however. So it is a experiment.

This one is a 1 5/8" version from the 60's, I know California smog testing was still good with these in the late 80's
P.s. It started to day first go but much to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks a bit like you've halved the flow cross section? not sure how that throttle body size compares with stock, but I'd just put in here that the problems you list as what you're trying to solve, aren't really problems...

Better Mileage: Yeah the SV isn't great, but is this really a motivating factor for anyone?
Better throttle response: sure the SV is a little snatchy but it's a V-twin...the stock butterflys move smoothly and you can always get different throttle spools or jetting.
Better mid range torque: this is like, what the SV is known for...

All that snarkyness aside, I fully love the experimentation, would be interested to see some dynos or videos. Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A picture
IMG_20201130_091751.jpg
of progress
The TB has only one gasket and it was leaking so I ordered some appropriate gasket paper from ebay but I couldn't wait so I made a Kellog's gasket.
Got it going, and was able to find with the fuel metering in the minimum position it is supplying enough fuel for 5000 rpm with no load. so being a mechanical system if I can mod it to close of more it should work. not surprising since its 150-200hp setup, I do have smaller ones but I want to give this a go first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts