Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have one question that hasn't been brought up yet. but not many people will be doing it.

i've read all of the posts about fogging the cylinders, changing the oil, washing/waxing, etc. before you put up the bike. i'm going to do all of that stuff, but like others i will be working on the bike this winter.

there is the step for putting in sta-bil in a full tank, blah, blah, blah. my question is, what about over the winter when i go to take off the tank? i'll have a full tank of gas that i'll have to drain.

should i just follow the normal procedures and just drain it when the time comes? or should i do something else since it won't be sitting full all winter?

and what about when i do take the tank off. should i do anything special to keep the inside of the tank from oxidizing or anything else?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
almost 50 views and nobody has a suggestion? ???

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Is the bike gonna be stored outside or inside?

If inside....... how cold will it get where it is stored?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it will be stored inside one of those metal buildings that a friend is building for a garage. so it won't get as cold as the outside since it has insulation but it will probably still get pretty cool in there.

if that is a potential problem i can store it inside the house.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Put the Stabil in the tank....... run it for awhile. Since you want to remove the tank, during the winter, I would put the bike in storage, remove the tank right away, clean it, and take that inside the house(basement/garage). Might as well remove the battery at the same time.......

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you say clean the tank, do you mean just wash the inside out with plain water? then i assume you just let it air dry before you put it away.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
schultzboy said:
when you say clean the tank, do you mean just wash the inside out with plain water? then i assume you just let it air dry before you put it away.
That I dont know....... other on here know better then me about cleaning the tank....

·
Registered
684 Posts
just fill the tank and put the stabil in. when you pull the tank it will just be heavy. set it aside in your garage. you might leak a drop of fuel a day past the pump if you dont block the hose up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but i will want to empty the tank right? i can't imagine storing a tank inside by itself would be a good thing.

plus i will be taking it off to get it painted. it will definitely need to be empty for that. how do i empty the tank once i get it off? is there an easy way to get the gas out without making a huge mess? is there something on the bottom of the tank i can just unplug to realease the gas into a bucket or something?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
If its the same as the other bikes i have worked on, just pull the fuel line......oh and have a bucket handy......lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
since you have taken the tanks off of other bikes, do you need to do anything once the gas is out? do i need to just rinse it with water then let it dry? or is there more to it than that?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I have always emptied em, rinsed em with water, make sure its completely dry before you refill it. But I also have never left a tank off a bike for too long.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Like I said I have never had a tank off long enough fot that to happen. Also, I have heard of some people rinsing with diesel. Dont know how well it works.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone. i'll give the kerosene a shot since i have a container of that at home. and i'll just wait to take it off until it is somewhat close to when it will actually get painted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts