Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news, but I didn't find anything specific on it so thot I'd share as a small pile of caysche was burned thoroughly to learn this lesson....

I recently purchased a silver grey "2009 SV650S" from a friend who bought it new from dealer in 2010.
I've had a hell of a time on some websites looking up parts etc for this bike,... some companies DO NOT have a 2009 SV650S listed in their bikes list.?
The story I got was the recession in 2008 set everyone back obviously MC companies included, & many built less bikes in 2009 some models few were built if any at all dep on 2008 unsold stock on hand, in process etc.......so perhaps not many actual "MFG in 2009 SV650S's" were built ?

On several OEM parts retailers, their listings simply have NO "2009 SV650S" listed, I find Gladius, SFV650 etc... VERY confusing these last few months....

I was looking for touch-up paint, I've used "TouchupDirect.com" before, so I looked up "2009 SV650S" and got code YHG for "Oort Grey" saw a sample/test pic, looked pretty close so I bought it.

The paint looked a touch dark but with these silver/ grey metallics,.. light hitting them or lack of,.. brightens them or darkens them a bit, so I couldn't really tell it was TOO dark until it is sprayed and dries... once dried and compared side by side..it is clear the color is wrong ... I thot it was a Touch-Up direct problem.

Then I checked the vin sticker on the bike looking for a paint code...the vin sticker on my bike clearly says " Mfg in 2008" ....? so I checked Touch-Up direct again selecting " 2008 SV650" (the only option) & up pops paint code : YLF - Thunder Gray Metallic .. the color I actually needed.

F me.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Fuel tank Plant
Hood Luggage and bags Netbook Bumper Gas

even at this point the colors look PRETTY close.....:oops: ...even here comparing shades,...it's not easily clear / obvious..in these angles.
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

but,.... these pics pretty much seal the deal lol... yeesh.
Office chair Vehicle Comfort Armrest Wood
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Don't think this issue affects any other model years... except maybe 2019-2020 due to covid...?

Anyone with a SV650..needing touch up paint,..pay attn to the vin sticker to confirm the actual year it was made, use that info to get your true paint shade..
REMEMBER - SIMILAR COLORS MAY NOT BE EXACTLY THE SAME SHADE OF THAT COLOR FROM YEAR TO YEAR

I was nearly done,... paint was smooth and clean, 2 coats of clear went on smooth.... then I royally jacked up and WAY over sprayed the 3rd coat of clear... the paint reacted and the job was ruined... I was soo annoyed then I realized I had the wrong paint color & this whole project was doomed from the start..

..so I felt MUCH worse / better...

..I think...

Live and learn. (y)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! .

...Can't tell you how happy I am that posting this wasn't a total waste of bandwidth lol,.. I figured some one else woulda noticed this "issue" after all these years, but found nothing when I checked... .

Fingers crossed it works out for you as well.

FWIW after ordering from Touchupdirect.com, I had great experiences with them in the past, and ill prob order the right color spray paint again from them, I also just ordered pens in the Thunder gray metallic and a lil bottle of the black mica paint for the frame etc, from Color Rite i think...

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I had my yellow 2005 tank repainted by a reputable local painter by the (correct!) paint code and it didn't match at all. The problem is that the painter will never mix the paint and metallics quite the same as the day they did at the factory, so it'll never match exactly unless they paint everything at once.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol...yep,.. then there is THAT...

FWIW.. my OE upper fairing & tail / OE lowers are NOT the same exact color...

The upper fairing and the tail section are a very nice and sparkly Thunder Gray Metallic silver. I keep catching in direct sunlight how the metal flake in the paint on the uppers will literally flash with sparkle here and there like tiny diamonds catching light.

The lower fairings tho while the same OE color code painted by the factory etc, were definitely NOT painted together.
they are a touch lighter in shade and just do not have that same awesome sparkly metallic paint as the uppers & tail....

Ce la Vie....

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had my yellow 2005 tank repainted by a reputable local painter by the (correct!) paint code and it didn't match at all. The problem is that the painter will never mix the paint and metallics quite the same as the day they did at the factory, so it'll never match exactly unless they paint everything at once.
+1 I tried to get the local painter in town to match my race fairings and tail section to the OEM tank colour (metallic charcoal) but it didnt come out quite the same. Now that the bikes been on its side three times this year I care a lot less!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts