Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Another easy and useful, albeit not thorough solution is Dupont's Teflon Lube. It's "multi-purpose" but says o-ring safe and for use on chains. Can pick it up at Lowe's or the equivalent for less than 5 a can. But besides the nice slippery Teflon to lube the chain, they have a de-gunking formula that really just melts away allllll the sh*z that has accumulated on your chain. You can watch it just drip off the chain. And for that reason I suggest you put a rag over the swingarm and cardboard between the chain and the wheel. That keeps your swingarm mostly clean and who in their right mind wants to have anti-stick Teflon on their tire?? I've used this product with good results. And since it keeps the chain a lot cleaner the interval that you have to pull the chain and do the grunge brush + kerosene approach is extended by a reasonable amount. And yes I know people argue :argue: about whether to use this on a sportbike or not, but I've had no ill effects so far.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
how dirty was your sv that any water pressure was needed?
Dude, my SV's chain is the stuff of nightmares. You have no idea. It's getting replaced though.

Another easy and useful, albeit not thorough solution is Dupont's Teflon Lube. It's "multi-purpose" but says o-ring safe and for use on chains. Can pick it up at Lowe's or the equivalent for less than 5 a can. But besides the nice slippery Teflon to lube the chain, they have a de-gunking formula that really just melts away allllll the sh*z that has accumulated on your chain. You can watch it just drip off the chain. And for that reason I suggest you put a rag over the swingarm and cardboard between the chain and the wheel. That keeps your swingarm mostly clean and who in their right mind wants to have anti-stick Teflon on their tire?? I've used this product with good results. And since it keeps the chain a lot cleaner the interval that you have to pull the chain and do the grunge brush + kerosene approach is extended by a reasonable amount. And yes I know people argue :argue: about whether to use this on a sportbike or not, but I've had no ill effects so far.
I've actually been using this stuff. Seems to work ok, but my chain is so horrific that I doubt I'm getting the full effect.

It's time for a new chain anyway. I'll be changing it when I take the bike apart after my last trackday in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well I just washed my chain with water yesterday on account it was pissing rain in Victoria and area. While getting stuck in the Collwood crawl the rain was running down my arms and inside my gloves.
Gonna oil the chain shortly.
Do not use the pressure washer.
Uncle Crusty

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
ever tried kerosene? that stuff works wonders man.
+1

That's all I use. Then I lube with the Dupont Teflon lube if the weather stays dry. If it is going to be damp out I use Maxima Chain Guard. The Teflon lube washes off too easy, hence using two kinds.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ever tried kerosene? that stuff works wonders man.
Yeah, I have, I was just thinking out loud...err... in text. I won't use the pressure washer.'

I'm just gonna replace the dang thing. I'm chaning the sprockets when I take it apart anyway, might as well replace the 16K mile chain while I'm at it. It's due.

·
Registered
856 Posts
since seeing kerosene kerosene kerosene ....over and over again ,on these haloed pages i went out and bought a gallon, ace didn't have smaller containers,best thing. I use it on all my bikes,sv,giant road bicycle,mtb, ect ect it's great a little bit absorbs and saturates a lot of paper towel,and lifts alot of grim,then i add fresh new lube almost weekly. I think my chains are gonna last longer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
+1

That's all I use. Then I lube with the Dupont Teflon lube if the weather stays dry. If it is going to be damp out I use Maxima Chain Guard. The Teflon lube washes off too easy, hence using two kinds.
Has it completely cured before you take it out? I usually let it sit for at least half an hour after a lube to make sure it has penetrated the o-rings and is dried on good and proper. Though maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the chain to notice if it had washed off :oops:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Has it completely cured before you take it out? I usually let it sit for at least half an hour after a lube to make sure it has penetrated the o-rings and is dried on good and proper. Though maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the chain to notice if it had washed off :oops:
I usually clean and lube my chain after a ride and leave it overnight.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
If it is able to penetrate the o-rings, your chain is shot ;D

cleaning and lubing an oring chain is simply a process to keep the chain from rusting and prematurely killing the orings, really.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If it is able to penetrate the o-rings, your chain is shot ;D

cleaning and lubing an oring chain is simply a process to keep the chain from rusting and prematurely killing the orings, really.
why would a lubricant penetrating or soaking the exterior of your o-rings kill the chain? Just because other things could get in also? Or am I missing something bigger?

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
why would a lubricant penetrating or soaking the exterior of your o-rings kill the chain? Just because other things could get in also? Or am I missing something bigger?
The o-rings hold in a lubricant that is applied at the factory.

The job of the orings is to keep EVERYTHING out and the lube in. If you have a product that can get into the o-rings, your chain is at the end of its life.

It's a common misconception that lubing gets oil 'inside' the chain.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
That's what I usually do. I just happened to recieve a free power washer and I'm itchin to play with it.
Come to my place and you can clean moss, etc off my deck, fence and outside walls to your hearts content ;D

21 - 40 of 40 Posts