Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I've been taught...

A point or tap of your helmate means cop!

Any other ideas, thoughts, or common practices.

P.S. As for driving in a cage, a flash of the lights is what I use.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Is that what the little yellow switch on the front of the left handlebar is for ???
;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think he's talking about signals for a group ride, riders behind him........not about warning oncoming motorists.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To warn oncoming bikers, the tap on the top of the helmet is becoming more and more common up here in Ontario...

So next time that you wave to a felow biker, and he taps his helmet, you better slow down... you may be approaching police / cops / radar

Marcos

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Are you talking about traffic coming towards you or alerting the poeple behind you??

For on coming traffic - Flashing of light on/off or high to low beams rapidly or helmet tapping
For behind traffic - Brake lights and a few helmet taps.

Other then that I don't know of anything else that is a universal signal. The less there are the better it is. I'd hate to be driving in a state or area that had it own set of signals to use. Very confusing.

N

·
0 Posts
I've seen the helmet tap before. If I'm on two wheels I'll give a "cool it" gesture (left hand out at hip level, palm horizontal and down, patting motion) to another bike if I think he's at risk. In a car I'll flash 'em (headlights, that is...) for all "at risk" bikes and most cars, unless they're driving like a complete wanker.

;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was really talking about oncoming vehicles. For our group rides we set the signals before, and the helmate tap for cops is one of them.

I will only flash lights on the bike to try to get a car I'm following to let me pass.

I have used the helmate pat for other bikes before, but i'm not sure they get the idea.

As for warning cages(sometimes bikes too) when I'm on the bike, I will use the palm down (slow down) motion.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Parker03GT said:
It'd be my luck that a cop would see me flashing someone. :-\
That sounds funny! ;D

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I figured out the helmet tap one time when a biker did it for me. I wondered about it for 10 seconds then decided it was a cop ahead. Sure enough, there he was. I had slowed fortunately.
Helmet tap makes sense. Especially considering that motorcycle lights kinda look like they're flashing all the time anyway. I suppose if you did a slow flash it would be a little easier to decipher.

The helmet tap basically just tells me "heads up." Not necessarily that there's a cop. Could be a wreck or something else. BE ON THE ALERT

N

·
0 Posts
The downside to flashing one's headlight on a bike is that other road users may mistake it for "Sure, go ahead and turn left in front of me -I've got nothin' to live for anyway...".

:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have seen people around here, San Diego, use the tap on the helmet to signal cops ahead. I think it is hepful if you can do it safely.

There is no harm in helping a fellow rider avoid a ticket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've always used the palm down, up and down motion, as the signal for a cops ahead, and have seen it many times as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
palm down would be the one I use to signal to a "cage." for oncoming or following bikes, the helmet tap for a ground po-po; or pointing in the air for a ghetto bird po-po. I've also seen an ahh chop-chop motion with the hand to indicate a copper.

I recently signaled and on coming rider with the helemt tap and he really cocked his head sideways at me like he had no idea. I still felt I did my part by trying to let him know.

T

·
0 Posts
I've always seen and used the palm-down for cops ahead, which I heard meant 'slow down' or 'keep it down'. The helmet tap is a good one. Any consensus on which is more widely used? Maybe it's regional...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
I've seen the helmet tap before. If I'm on two wheels I'll give a "cool it" gesture (left hand out at hip level, palm horizontal and down, patting motion) to another bike if I think he's at risk. In a car I'll flash 'em (headlights, that is...) for all "at risk" bikes and most cars, unless they're driving like a complete wanker.

;)
I got the hand-pat (slow down) from another biker going the other way too.  I paid a lot of attention to him and slowed down since he was a state trooper.  :)

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
steve_h said:
I got the hand-pat (slow down) from another biker going the other way too.  I paid a lot of attention to him and slowed down since he was a state trooper.  :)
lol...nice

·
Registered
11 Posts
The helmet tap seems to be pretty prevalent here in Northern California backroads. Usually the "hand pat" is used in group rides when there is something (debris, roadkill, sand, etc.) on the roadway ahead.

They likely have the same effect - "Slow down and pay attention."

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Helmet tap seems to be the standard here in Utah.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts