Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down for the first time last nite. Going into a mild turn with a vehicle passing in the opposite lane. I just got freaked out and locked up the front brake. I was doing about 35 when I ate it. Minor damage to the SV: Shift lever, small scratches on the upper and left tail, ate up right frame slider and moved my clutch lever mount. I priced all the parts with my work discount and it only comes to about $400. i am gonna leave the plastics scratched for now in case this were to happen again. I got a little rash on my knee, and I mean a LITTLE. The size of a quarter. My Alpinestars T-dyno jacket got shredded and the thing that pisses me off the most is that my brand new Arai RX-7 got scuffed. I guess I will put a sticker over it. But, thats my story, rode it home, will wait for the deep bone/muscle bruise I have in my shoulder to heal, then try again

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your helmet hit the ground, replace it. It's cheaper than replacing your head. Helmets are designed to survive ONE impact and ONE impact ONLY.

Glad you are alright though, bikes can be fixed :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stranger said:
sorry to hear that man. could have been worse - $400 is nothing to fix! glad you're ok too.

thanks! BTW ,Pics to come this afternoon.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Man there have been a ton of crashes lately...be careful out there

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear you are relatively ok! Hope you can get back on soon. So did you think the oncoming car was going to come into your lane or can you help us understand what happened? It might help others in a similar situation.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vtwinheaven said:
Glad to hear you are relatively ok! Hope you can get back on soon. So did you think the oncoming car was going to come into your lane or can you help us understand what happened? It might help others in a similar situation.

Yes please! as a new rider I would like to know mode details. I am still intimidated by cars driving next to me, so I can understand the reaction...

-Rámesis

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
send the helmet to arai to be checked out if you plan on keeping it... at the very least, take out the liner on the inside and see if you can see any cracks in the foam shell.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, for a minor scuff, I am not going to replace my $300 Arai. It'll be ok. Anyways, as far as I can tell, the other car was ok, in his lane, going normal speed. I just got to looking at my lane and being leaned over about to pass between the car and the guardrail, I just got freaked and grabbed too much front brake. The bike slid and I "lowsided." The front wheel tapped a guardrail and it came to rest. The front is ok tho. I rode it home and hit 70mph to see if it wobbled, nothing. I priced the parts and plastics, only $400. But I am going to put a bolt in my shift lever and leave the plastics alone for now. Just in case it happens again. I need a new jacket tho, and a good 2inX2in sticker to put on my helmet.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i broke my shifter when i went down. i bolted it, but bought a new one. still have the bolt on there. the new shifter is in my tank bag should i ever go down again. just haven't needed to change it yet (thankfully).

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Welcome to the club!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just remember......NEVER touch that front brake while turning!!!! Stand the bike up straight before hitting it or you'll take another dive. You can do a little (and I mean little) rear brake in a turn, but a better course of action would have been to lean the bike further and given it a little more gas (just based on reading your situation of course).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the support, ya'll. I think Once my shoulder quits hurting, I am going to practice going thru turns slowly with no brakes, then getting faster until I feel comfortable not using the brakes. Once again, thanks for the support.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any crash you can walk away from is okay. Heck, if you can ride home from it, it's hardly a crash at all. :lol: Glad you're okay.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you are OK!

+1 on never braking in the turn (I am no expert)

I don't know if you've seen it, but I picked up "A Twist of the Wrist Volume II" and it has been a great resource. It sounds like you were a victim of a "survival reaction." Like o_town_racer said, a smooth throttle roll-on would be the best bet in a turn; and avoid fixating on the obstruction....a lot easier for us to say than do for sure.

Hope your shoulder feels better soon. What does not kill us makes us stronger.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BamaRider said:
Glad you are OK!

+1 on never braking in the turn (I am no expert)

I don't know if you've seen it, but I picked up "A Twist of the Wrist Volume II" and it has been a great resource. It sounds like you were a victim of a "survival reaction." Like o_town_racer said, a smooth throttle roll-on would be the best bet in a turn; and avoid fixating on the obstruction....a lot easier for us to say than do for sure.

Hope your shoulder feels better soon. What does not kill us makes us stronger.
That book is sitting on my desk. I bought it 3-4 days ago. Maybe I should start to read it NOW. :lol:

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate... Full marks for being honest and not blaming the bike like some would do. Just don't do it again :) I did something very similiar when I was starting out, went into a corner hot, freaked, and instead of just riding through I locked the rear and went out the outside of the bend. If I'd just looked through the bend and held my breath I'd have been fine.

By the way... Never listen to any advice you get on braking on the internet. Every time we get into a braking discussion you get 20 different stories, and only one can be the best way. It all works for the rider giving the advice, but that doesn't make it right. I can use the front and brake effectively in corners, but it's a tricky skill to learn and ultimately you're better to just avoid having to do it in the first place. If you get it wrong, it tends to work out a hundred times worse than if you'd just carried on.

I'd seriously, seriously recommend you get some advanced training; I wish I had earlier. It's no substitute for experience but it's still worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
PartsmanNC said:
Well, for a minor scuff, I am not going to replace my $300 Arai. It'll be ok.
Just a minor scuff on the outside.. who knows what happened on the inside. I would seriously have it checked out before assuming its okay. The helmet was $300.. your brains are priceless, dont be cheap by ignoring the possibility that their maybe be damage you arent able to see.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts