Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a pair of boots, hoping to get in on the 15% off bike bandit sale / AMA discount weekend, and I need some help deciding. Hope to get some expertise from the folks around here

I'm looking at boots for spirited street riding, and some mild touring. Never been to a track, but there's a possibility of going to a track day in the future. I would like to be able to wear them around my office, not really a lot of walking, but a dedicated race boot would not work for this. If I get pulled out of my desk to go out in the field, I'll have my work boots there.

I've done a lot of research in the last couple days. My original idea was a pair of Sidi fusion's, but they don't offer as much protection as I would like.

Next I looked into a pair of Cortech Latigo's, love the added ankle support, but they are positioned in a true race style boot which would not be comfortable to walk in.

I then looked at some Spidi boots, little into alpine stars, and skipped looking into Dianese due to the price. Thought briefly about Sidi Cobra's, but the vertigo's aren't much more and have a side vent which would be necessary in south Texas.

The Sidi Vertigo sounds like excellent boots, most people say are pretty comfy, but the only thing I have noticed is the lack of ankle support.

This is where I need some help. If I lay the bike down in a pair of Vertigo's, would they protect my ankles from rolling? I know they don't have the external frame for ankles, but how much protection do they have in this area?

Vertigo's are already at the high end of my budget, but looked at the Sidi ST boots and notice they have pretty much everything I want, just a little outside my price range, and being that they are considered a true race boot, how comfortable will they be to walk in?

So the decision to make, Sidi Vertigo or Sidi ST?

I have decided Sidi due to the overwhelming amount of positive feedback on the company, as well as the interchangeable pieces to make the boots last much longer.

After looking at as many boots as I have seen, and noticing how few of them have ankle protection, how much of a concern is rolling your ankle in a crash? It seems like the greatest concern of 90% of boots is a shin guard, heel cup, toe box, and some skid protection over the ankles.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
have you looked into the tcx s-zeros? ive had them since last november. did a minirally, a trackday, commuting, day at the mall, as well as sat through a movie with them on and have been satisfied with everything about them.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Sidi's cost more, but LAST! You really get what you pay for with them. I have been wearing my vertigos for 8000 miles and over a year now. They still look and perform perfectly with no issues and I don't even think about comfort when I ride. I've crashed in them a few times with ZERO foot injury(so far) and minimal damage to several of the replaceable parts from sliding. I also wear them with everything from jeans to full leathers. One thing they do is squeak and click a bit when I walk around. I can, and do, wear them all day at times. I can honestly say that the only thing I wish the vertigos had was better waterproofing, which is why they make a GoreTex version for 100$ more. some more ankle twist support would be plus but might hamper the all day comfort factor a tad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use Sidi Fusion boots. They offer less protection than a full on race boot but are comfortable and very well made. I highly recommend them or if you want to step up and go for the Vertigo's you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have a set of Sidi Vertigos, but the soles on them wear pretty quickly. If you are going to an office, I would try a boot with a little less aggressive styling that you could still use on the track.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I don't own Sidis but I do wear a full boot (Alpinestars SMX-5) all day everyday (riding with them for the past 70,000km and have walked many adventures with them on). They're really comfortable for normal wear and walking. Wouldn't want to run a marathon in them, but they feel like slippers around the office.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My Vertigos have 30K of riding, many track days, walked around during bike week for 2 days. Just about to replace the soles ($20 for soles, $60 to install), after 4 years they will be around for another 4 hopefully. Not a bad investment.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I use Sidi Fusion boots. They offer less protection than a full on race boot but are comfortable and very well made. I highly recommend them or if you want to step up and go for the Vertigo's you can't go wrong.
I second these. I have mine on right now and have been walking around in them all day. I also crashed in them and they protected well.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I've walked around all day in Sidi Cobras. They offer some more protection than the Fusions without being uncomfortable to walk in at all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been looking into this stuff all evening, think I am going to end up going with the ST's. Yeah, they cost more and are definitely overkill on street protection, but I like being prepared. As long as I can comfortably wear them for a couple hours without any problems, I'll be happy. I would rather have extra protection and keep an extra pair of work boots at the office.

·
Registered
826 Posts
the best model you can afford (including full race boots). thats what i would do

·
Registered
110 Posts
OP, have you tried any of these boots on? None of the above matters if they don't fit. I personally have fairly wide feet and found Sidi boots uncomfortable, ended up buying a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 5. They don't provide as much ankle support as a racing boot, but they are relatively comfortable to walk around in. I do change into my tennis shoes when I get to work, but only to keep my feet from getting hot and sweaty.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try them on if you can before you buy them. I have the vertigos, they are a great boot and fit my feet almost perfectly. Although if i was to go back and buy a pair of boots all over again I would spend the $200 extra, yes thats right $200, to get the Vortice for the extra custom fit due to the ratchet system above the arch of the foot. Thasts really my only complaint about the boots. So if your budget is about the 300 dollar range you can't go wrong, just try before you buy if at all possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts