Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it over to my old home area Melbourne Fl to watch the shuttle go up tonight. Not quite a night launch but dusk lighting was pretty nice too.

Looking over the intercoastal waterway. KSC is approx 35 miles to the north.

Just after SRB separation, it was still day light 41 miles up.

The sun lit contrail with the shuttle now 60 to 80 miles down range. It's the little light spec lower in the sky in the lower right.

:)

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Sweet - great pics Nex......

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I miss FL...:( but I must say, the riding in FL sucks compared to AZ and CA.

Do you ever meet up with the clearwater/tampa gang on the weekends and watch them do stunts on the bridge (think it was on the causway)?

good times.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Cool pics. My brother is living in New Port Richey (sp?) and he texted me last night to say he got to see it, he was all excited.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
wow they're still flying those antiques. Nice pics Nex. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My friend went there also Nexus.I live in New port richey and completely forgot about it D****T!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Oh how I miss Florida...used to live in Palm Harbor.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Pretty cool stuff!

Those evening launches are the best for effect, IMO.

I live here on the Central Coast of California and I am 24 miles NNW as the crow flies from the Space Shuttle Launch complex that was built here at Vandenberg AFB to launch the shuttles into Polar Orbit....you know...the one they spent Billions on and then decided it wasn't gonna work and abandoned it?! Anyway, we have unarmed Minuteman Nuclear Missile (MX Missile) test shots out here every few months where they randomly pull them from silos in the Midwest of the Nation, train-car them over here, then shoot them from here over to the Kwajalein Islands 4000 plus miles downrange. We also have a mix of Delta and Titan booster launches (miss the big ol' Atlas boosters!) so we have something going up almost once a month. Sometimes things don't go as planned and we see them destroyed in flight or some do it for us on the launch complex. The evening shots always provide for some pretty incredible scenery as all the spent fuel in the contrail usually persists for about a half hour after the booster was launched. Real bizarre colors like green and orange twist through the evening sky and eventually dissipate.

Missles! Rockets! It's all b!tchin' stuff!!

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
What do they do in down time after the inspection is done?

Nex - nice pics
They work at NASA Langley, in Hampton, VA. Immediately following a launch, they fly to Houston, TX where they spend about a week or so. When the inspection is done, and everything is deemed safe, they come back. If it's not deemed safe, they stay, and figure out what to do. They have not had to do that yet.

Shann will be coming home, but Karen is staying, since there's some project involving a chase plane and special cameras when it lands. She's really bummed that it's taken this long to launch, because now she's going to miss the marathon this weekend that she's been training for durring the last 4 months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts