1 - 20 of 8066 Posts

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Members of the NRA are always saying that guns don't kill people, people kill people. So, we need to get rid of people. Which brings us right back to guns. 300,000,000 guns in private hands in the US.

·
Registered
155 Posts
300,000,000 guns in private hands... and whats the stat for deaths with guns from violent crimes? and accidental deaths.

I'd like to compare that stat with motor vehicle deaths, like drunk driving, and/or even just accidents.

Would be interesting to compare.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes.

Just because we use our intelligence to create efficient food, clean water, and relatively safe environments for us to live in as a society, does not mean we as individuals are now past the point of having to survive on our own without relying on society. If our food supply ran out and we were forced to hunt in order to eat, I for one would like to be able to do so.

And similarly, removal of guns would lead to increased crime. When there is more incentive to commit a crime (you know the victim won't be armed), more crimes will be committed. As stated many times before, a criminal with intent to commit a crime WILL get a weapon, no matter how illegal and hard to come by they are. For every law, there is a way around the law.

Removing guns from the citizen's hands just tilts the playing field in favor of those that do not care to abide by the laws.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I for one do not own any guns, but I work with them for my job, (Infantry) I for one fully support gun ownership.

I support the way of thinking that if noone can legely own a gun, than more crime will be the outcome.

Owning or not owning a gun is a personal choice that needs to be made by individual people.

Do I think we as a country need better gun education, and monitering? Yes we do. As long as we do what is right who cares if uncle sam knows? Resticting guns, or banning them all will not stop people who are intent on doing harm from doing it.

But this is just my way of thinking. YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I am for properly regulated gun ownership. I also support either extremely restrictive control or an outright ban on semi-automatic rifles.

I believe that everyone who owns a firearm should be required to obtain and keep a permit that must be renewed on a fixed basis (maybe once a year or once every two years).

I also believe that there should be a more consistent data-base for gun ID numbers. Any gun stolen must be reported to the police department. Any private sale should be witnessed by a licensed gun dealer and a background check of both the buyer and seller should be run. Failure to report a stolen firearm in a timely manner or legally sell the weapon should result in penalties. That should especially be the case if it is found out that the firearm was used in the commission of a crime.

Don't even get me started with gun shows. There should be a state/federal background check for every firearm sold.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Don't get you started on gun shows?

What occurs at a gun show that is neither a dealer sale or private party sale?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
There are examples from all around the world in which a determined individual or group have found creative and deadly ways to make their point. Regardless of what was used, people have always found ways to hurt one another.

There have even been incidences which involve LE/military (who, for all intents and purposes are supposed to be armed).

Gun opponents are always going to preach the unrealistic ideal of a weapon-less society. They are also constantly and genuinely baffled as to why others can't see things "their way".

On the flip side, the Pros can see guns as inanimate objects that may or may not have historical significance with the ability to bestow positive feelings to the owner (whether it be pride, or an increase feeling of security, etc). They just can't understand why the other side has to wag their finger at them while spouting the virtues of their ideal views.

As a commodity, weapons generate wealth. The industry of guns/weapons provide a means for people to earn a living... both legally and illegally.

What's the point of my response? There is no point, and there is no right answer. The pendulum of public opinion and therefore politics, will swing from one side to the other. Probably until people die out as a species.

On another note, anyone remember that movie Minority Report? We need those telepathic bald people floating in that soup to predict/prevent crimes before they occur. But that didn't work out so hot in the movie either.

My condolences to those in Colorado.

Carry on.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I am for properly regulated gun ownership. I also support either extremely restrictive control or an outright ban on semi-automatic rifles.

I won't even touch on the sales regulations that you think are necessary.

But what do you define as a semi-automatic

What about revolvers?

What about a double barrel shotgun?

What about pump, or lever actuated firearms?

Where do you draw the line?

What purpose would banning semi-auto firearms have?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I won't even touch on the sales regulations that you think are necessary.

Well then you really shouldn't bother with anything else because you just decided to ignore basically my entire position.

But what do you define as a semi-automatic

"A semi-automatic rifle is a type of rifle that fires a single bullet each time the trigger is pulled, automatically ejects the spent cartridge, chambers a fresh cartridge from its magazine, and is immediately ready to fire another shot."

What about revolvers?

Did I say revolvers?

What about a double barrel shotgun?

Did I say double barrel shotguns?

What about pump, or lever actuated firearms?

Did I say pump or lever actuated firearms?

Where do you draw the line?

I just told you.

What purpose would banning semi-auto firearms have?
To stop the illegal exportation of thousands of semi-automatic rifles into Mexico annually. But, like I said, I do not necessarily think a ban is required.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I don't agree with your position on regulation. Neither you or I would change our opinions on that so there is little point arguing it.

Then tell me what is the functional difference between a semi automatic and a revolver? One shot per trigger pull. Yes the new round is fired in a different manner, but the end result is the same. One shot per trigger pull.

Why ban semi automatics instead of enforcing the laws we already have? What good would a new law make if it isn't going to be enforced?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I don't agree with your position on regulation. Neither you or I would change our opinions on that so there is little point arguing it.

Then tell me what is the functional difference between a semi automatic and a revolver? One shot per trigger pull. Yes the new round is fired in a different manner, but the end result is the same. One shot per trigger pull.

If this were the case then there would be no reason for law enforcement and military servicemen to have semi-automatic and selective fire rifles. There is massive difference between a revolver or pistol and a semi-automatic rifle.

Why ban semi automatics instead of enforcing the laws we already have? What good would a new law make if it isn't going to be enforced?
What laws? You can't just make a blanket statement about laws not being enforced and using that as an excuse to reject reasonable future gun control.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
How about that one for a start?
It's as impossible to stop weapons at the border as it is to stop drugs at the border.

The difference is that I can't build an AR-15 in my basement using supplies from a local Home Depot.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If this were the case then there would be no reason for law enforcement and military servicemen to have semi-automatic and selective fire rifles. There is massive difference between a revolver or pistol and a semi-automatic rifle.

Derp... What? you think that the only reason Police carry Semi auto rifles is because I (and other citizens) have a semi automatic rifle?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Derp... What? you think that the only reason Police carry Semi auto rifles is because I (and other citizens) have a semi automatic rifle?
You misunderstood what I was saying. My point is that there is a difference in firepower and tactical ability between a semi-automatic rifle and a revolver or pistol. A big difference.

Otherwise, troops would go into battle carrying a snub nosed .357 six shooter.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
It's as impossible to stop weapons at the border as it is to stop drugs at the border.

The difference is that I can't build an AR-15 in my basement using supplies from a local Home Depot.
Then what's your point? If the US were to stop producing semi automatics you think the problem would just go away? You know other countries make guns too.

Either way. It's not impossible, Just difficult to prevent illegal trade.

1 - 20 of 8066 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.