Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question: should we have a sticky thread for the subject, "What oil is suitable for my SV?"

The topic comes up so damn frequently and what's the first response to each new thread? "Do a search" Yeah, well, when we have umpteenmillion threads on it, it's rather overwhelming, and that's beside the fact that half of the responses are useless posts! To a new member, the thousands of oil posts are not only intimidating, but are incredibly difficult to derive any kind useful info from them.

So, if a moderator would care to start a new oil thread with the first post a basic overview of the general SVRider consensus, we could make it a sticky post and work to put a stop to the endless amount of redundant oil threads.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe just create some FAQ threads that answer all the questions. And maybe have them in 24pt font so they really stick out from the rest.

Maybe just take some of the basic questions they all have (brand of oil, weight, how to change it, etc) and put them in one basic thread that all of the cynical members can link to next time someone posts a thread about it.

Meh, just a thought. Of course, there is a FAQ section in the buttons above, so might just need to enlarge the button or change its color so it stands out more.

AJ
Is Moible 1 a good oil to use?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FAQ seciton is made by the PHPBB guys.

However, an Oil FAQ sticky would be terrific.

Come on mods, there are over 11,000 threads that contain the word oil! That's 734 pages of search results that come up. It's time to make a sticky, this is the sort of thing the sticky feature was made for.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
how about having a whole sectiom devoted to it? cycleforums has a section for new riders that covers first bikes, MSF, oil etc.
As long as most people here agree to welcome newbies (we are a nice forum) then I am up for it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think a newbie forum would be good... it would protect them from our wrath when they ask uninformed questions.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I think a forum for new riders would be good, some threads certainly do need to be made sticky in the main forum (an Oil FAQ is one of these).

If I were setting it up, I'd keep the board as is and add a new members category structured as follows:

New Members
- Introductions
- MSF Experience
- Beginner Motorcycles

I'd still keep the oil thread a sticky in the main forum because it is debated by older and younger members.

·
Registered
26 Posts
novakane said:
im running amsoil, bad?
Not if you ask me. I ran it for 3900 miles in my bike, just drained it saturday, and it looked like the day I put it in. I haven't tried any of the other synthetic oils in my bike or other vehicles, but I've never had a conventional oil come out looking that clean. I'm giving some thought to becoming a dealer. I have a lot of friends who run Amsoil, and I can get it at a steep discount if I'm a dealer....or I can sell it to them at full cost and pocket the profit :twisted: Anyhow, I like it, and it's at least as good as any other synthetic out there, better if you believe all the charts and graphs on the Amsoil homepage. I think just about any reputable brand name oil is fine as long as you change it and the filter as often as you're supposed to. Some oils will help you get more miles out of your engine, others won't. But there are very few oils out there that will hurt your engine.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
i say no, no one ever looks at the stickies and having the discussion builds community
true that no one ever looks at the stickies; not just here, but just about every forum I've frequented. but, when asked about oil, instead of smarty-pants remarks like the picture of google that's floating around, one could just post a link to the sticky.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I disagree that no one looks at the stickies:

I think that many people may get the idea that no one looks at the stickies, but that is based off the number of posts that come up with the same subject as the sticky. But what you don't see or have data from is all the people that looked at the sticky and didn't feel the need to post a new thread. Look at all the views of the stickies in the pictures above - there's tons of 'em! With less than a 1000 particularly active users, it would seem to me that those stickies are quite effective.

Since the GSX-R fork and shock threads were created, there have been far fewer threads created on these subjects. It would seem to me that the stickies are doing their jobs well.

Looking at it from a different point of view, what can it hurt? What harm would come from having an oil sticky? An oil sticky is not gonna stop someone from becoming a part of the community here.

Y

·
0 Posts
Good proof.... Sticky posts are a good thing! I would like to see more, and have them not diluted either... Have the potential posts of knowledge moderated... you must have your post trickled through a mod.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Tell you what- you compile it (assembling the wisdom of Andyauger and quotes from the various diesel fleet oil websites) and post it, I'll make it a sticky.

:D

Bill

C

·
0 Posts
how about a whole general maintenance sticky? covers everything, basic service, oil changes, types of oil, chain maintenance, etc etc etc.

I 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) the newb forum. It should have basic things, and a sticky with links to general modifications, BPUs if you will.

I know that the main SVRider.com has a tips/tricks section, but half those links are dead, and are links to the forum anyway, and most peopel just skip over that and go to the forum, so that should all be covered in here.

Tech section should have a sticky of commonly covered mods and upgrades, could be entitley "FAQs: Read before post"

it's the best way to get around the poo search feature, whatever happened to the regular phpBB search that comes up with just post titles?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
we should not have a sticky, I hate stickies, but we should have a search function that can read minds

it's always good to have discussions wa can call each other morons for spending too much money on our bikes

some of os are moron cause we don't do our own work and pay a dealer
others are morons cause we spend $15 a liter on purple what ever
others are morns cause they rely completly on internet wisdom

it's good to filter thru it and form yor own opinions

C

·
0 Posts
but you see, if you spoon feed it to them, you get one question a month, if you don't spoon feed it to them, you get one a week.

One sticky wouldn't hurt, it's quite effective on forums, one sticky with basically what you could put into 20.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ronlarimer said:
I think a newbie forum would be good... it would protect them from our wrath when they ask uninformed questions.

+1

Best idea I've heard in a while. There was a racer's forum created for much less of a problem than the repetitive threads and questions asked by new users. Great idea, Ron... 8)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts