Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

to chop or not to chop?

• YES - just do it you pansy.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • NO - it's probably to darn loud already.

Votes: 55 65.5%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

so here's what my exhaust looks like now. chopped and debaffled.

i plan on installing some type of slip-on eventually. until then, i've been debating cutting
off the muffler and slash cutting the pipe. should i? or should i not?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
sv's with no muffler sound like hell. customize your exhaust more. heat wrap, head shield for the muffer or the up pipe, paint it, whatever.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i plan on slash cutting the exhaust pipe directly in front of the muffler. that way the lower
portion is still there for a slip on in the future.
some folks here have recently said that slash cutting sounds better than just a straight cut.
not that it won't still be loud.
i only ride very short distances. my commute is about 8 minutes. other than that the only
riding i do is the occasional weekend canyon blast. if i spent more time on the super slab
i would not consider this at all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think it looks pretty good the way it is. I think you will hate the noise without a can. LIke 507phantom said paint the can, heat wrap, etc. or buy a slip on. I love my 2 bros CF can

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mines just barely shorterthan yours. I love the way it sounds as is! If your just wanting to before you get a new pipe, then do it. I've always heard that NO backpreasure is bad though!?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about that SuperTrapp disk-only "muffler"?
i actually want to use the very short supertrapp muffler eventually. the disk only doesn't
look right to me. i also really like the m4 GP style megaphone. i will install one of those
when i have the extra money. i'm just tired of the cut stocker i have right now.
i do like the sound it makes tho. i just need a change of pace.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and thanks everybody for the compliments on the cut stock can :) . i've been looking for
a spare stock header to cut so i can keep this one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Spierings i like your undertail. How did you do it and how much did it set you back?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey do you have any pictures of the rear of the can?? Definitely like the look of it!! I was considering doing the same thing on my 1000 to both cans!! Looks 100times better than stock!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
and thanks everybody for the compliments on the cut stock can :) . i've been looking for
a spare stock header to cut so i can keep this one.
I voted not to cut it. And not because I happen to have a spare stock header laying around if you're interested. Looks good the way it is and I would think it'd sound like poo without an end can.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts